Chapter 08

Dia frowned upon hearing. She was confused, anxious and uncomfortable, all the same time regardless she forthwith didn't show the audience how she felt. Rubbing her palms anxiously, she watched Shivaay as he spoke with the in-charge physician observing Annika. She keenly noted how patiently, as typical, Shivaay asked about Annika's health. However, at some point in the lane, she was a bit surprised to see him sign the paperwork and inform the staff that bill would be paid at the reception desk when Annika is fit to discharge.

"She is fit for a clearance. However, I would suggest that she shouldn't be overworking using her right arm. Rest all ought to be fine."  The senior doctor informed them as she stuck a cute cartoon character sticker on Annika's caste.

Annika stretched her lips into a beautiful smile and the doctor returned the same as she advised do's and don'ts with a caste.

As the doctor walked out, their class teacher turned his heels towards Shivaay and clasped his hands with his.  Pressing slightly he spoke, "don't worry. Annika is willful and strong."

"I know sir." Shivaay pressed his lips into a straight line and nodded. "She is also rebellious. I'm just worried about the upcoming semester exams. Probably she would need a scribe."

"I wonder if that would be allowed. Let me see, and talk with the dean." The elder professor told trying to remember other such incidents as this. "I wonder what are you doing now?"

"I have applied for bar council and as of now, I'm just visiting the court trying to familiarise myself with the senior advocates." Shivaay chuckled stating his current position. Though he felt pity for himself, he couldn't help but notice fate and its pungent path, of being unemployed.

The other professor nodded in understanding "Now, I will take a leave. Take care of her. Call me after reaching home."

After bidding adieu to him, Shivaay came to the room where Annika stayed, and stay on the stool that was placed near the bedpost.

Watching all this time, Dia had understood that there was an unwritten familiarity between her love interest, Shivaay and her classmate. She barely stood controlling her inner impulse to seek details considering the same. 

"Hmm, what is it?" She watched Shivaay respond to Annika as she poke his arm with her left Index finger.

"Please get me aloo puri. I'm hungry. I didn't eat in the morning. Now it's late afternoon." Annika pushed out her plum lips, pouting sadly. Abhay burst into unstoppable giggles earning an intense glare from his best friend.

"Didn't you eat your signature dish 'kaanda poha' this morning?" Shivaay pulled back his face and asked Annika in disbelief.

[Info -  poha ( flattened rice) prepared with onion.]

Nodding in the gloom, Annika told how hungry she was. When asked about what would she like to eat if not her also pori (if not available in the hospital canteen), she happily gave a menu for lunch and dinner together. Sighing at her behaviour, Shivaay stepped from his seat to get her food asking Abhay to stay with her.

Taking this an opportunity Dia adjusted her wrinkled tee shirt and followed him.

"Ji sunyie," Annika whispered, calling for Shivaay, as she watched Dia follow him. Shivaay stopped his track and rooted in to place not how to respond. Hell! He didn't even know if she was calling for him. Taking his own personal time, Shivaay turned his heels and faced her.

"Shivaay Ji, I'm not sure if Saasu maa will forgive me. I was supposed to be at home and help her with pooja."

"I will try to talk to maa."