Chapter 27

"Bhai you how come you are solving the puzzle very well." Shivaay narrowed his eyes, suspiciously looking at his older brother. "Last time we weren't able to solve this. Kya baat hain?"

[Trans-What's happening?]

Looking around everywhere but him, Shubh laughed awkwardly. "You were always dumb! Mumma told me."

Shivaay gasped, parting his lips at his mocking. "Jot bole kauwa khate! Chalo ab toh saach bol do."

[Trans- The crow would have lied! Come on now tell the truth.]

Shubh pouted. "Khadoos papa solved it and numbered along with it."

"Khadoos?" Shakti mumbled in shock.

"That's sweet of him." Shivaay gushed happily looking at his father, who sat faraway from them as he read his Aaj ke khabar. "Hain na Annika?"

[Trans-Isn't it Annika?]

"Yes indeed. Uncle ji turned out sweeter than expected." Annika chuckled.

Hearing Annika's remark on Shakti's strict standards, Shivaay and Pinky laughed, seeing them laugh Shubh laughed too.

"I was probably in second grade and the teacher complained about me not knowing tables of 2. And I clearly remember him smacking my back and tutoring me. Now see him, he is so soft to his ladla beta." Shivaay whole heartily smiled remembering his childhood memories.

[Trans- beloved son]

"Chalo na! Let's play again." Shubh tugged Shivaay's hem of shirt, urging him to play with him.

[Trans- come on!]

Shaking out of his thoughts, Shivaay rolled up his sleeves in enthusiasm. Soon both brothers were indulged in another new picture puzzle, that Shivaay had brought months back as a gift.

Watching them laugh and carefully place the missing pieces of the puzzle, Annika and Pinky sat on the couch with keen interest.

Annika pondered over as she observed her husband, Shivaay and Shubh, her brother-in-law, solving the picture puzzle together.

The room was filled with an air of concentration as they meticulously pieced together the fragments of the colorful image laid out before them. Shubh's childlike curiosity and innocence were evident as he picked up each piece with utmost care focusing intently on matching the intricate patterns.

For Annika the scene was a revelation. She had always perceived Shubh as someone who was mentally challenged, unable to comprehend the complexities of the world around him. But as she observed the way he handled the puzzle it became apparent that there was much more to Shubh than met the eye. Despite the limitations of his cognitive abilities he possessed an uncanny ability to decipher patterns and solve problems.

As the picture puzzle neared completion Annika couldn't help but marvel at the bond between Shivaay and Shubh. They were communicating through unspoken gestures and shared laughter creating a world of their own within the realm of puzzles. Shubh's face radiated pure joy and Shivaay couldn't hide his pride and admiration for his older brother.

In that moment Annika realized how deeply affected Shivaay must have been growing up with a mentally challenged sibling. The attention and care that Shubh required undoubtedly left Shivaay feeling neglected and overlooked at times. It was a silent pain that he carried within often masked by a facade of strength and independence.

Moved by this, Annika's perspective began to shift.

She recognized the significance of forming a connection with Shubh not just out of familial duty but out of genuine compassion and understanding.