20 - She Knows More Than She's Letting On

After the stake was burned, Hope released Kaleb from the uncomfortable position he was held in

After the stake was burned, Hope released Kaleb from the uncomfortable position he was held in. He backed up and dusted the left-over ashes from the stake. "You see that's exactly why I tried to kill you," Kaleb pointed at Hope sharply. "Because all of your 'apologies' were swept away the moment someone made a move against you." He shook his head.

"Why is it shocking? Would you be so willing to apologize to someone after they've just tried to kill you?" Hope replied after having a flash of a memory. Kaleb stayed silent.

"If I were someone who's done what you've done, I would be trying to apologize at any moment," Josie answered for Kaleb.

"Who cares?" Lizzie jumped in. "Hope, nor I, remember much of what's happened in the past 2 years, so how are we supposed to know how sorry we're supposed to be, if even at all."

"You guys are supposed to be sorry," Josie stated firmly.

"Says the one who killed me. Did I ever get an apology from you for that?" Hope titled her head towards Josie, who's face grew tight.

Josie kept silent through long exchanged stares she had with Hope. The tribrid was correct. She never actually apologized.

Lizzie broke the silence, "Alright, alright. Enough of this." The other 5 in the room shifted their attention to the witch. What's been done is done. Can we please—just go back to normal?" The blonde pleaded.

"Normal?" Josie looked at her sister, "Our normal isn't your normal, Elizabeth." The use of her full name on Josie's tongue had Lizzie concerned. Not more than twice had she heard her sister use her full name. Those two times were introductions.

The brunette continued, "You guys have been gone for just over a year. Our normal doesn't include you and—Hope." Josie brought her arm up to Lizzie, then carried it over to Hope, who's mouth still had remanence of her sister's blood.

Alaric dropped his head down and sighed. His daughter returned... but it wasn't—her. Once his mind compiled the words, he looked at Lizzie, and spoke, "She's right, Elizabeth."

Lizzie furrowed her eyebrows and walked up to Alaric. "What?" She said in a shaky, questioning voice.

"Things can't just go back to 'normal.' You and Hope have been gone. And you guys aren't—."

"The same?" Hope finished. She took a step down to come closer to the headmaster. "Yeah, I get it. You prefer to believe we're irredeemable, rather than us being good."

"No," Alaric clenched his teeth as the dangerous tribrid stood in front of him right beside Lizzie. "No matter how you and my daughter changed, it will not change anything that happened prior."