thunderstorms can be beautiful | donnie x GN!reader 💖

requester: Lunatic51

↳ " can you make a Donnie x GN!Reader where Donnie comforts the reader during a thunderstorm (already dating)? "

❥ readers pronouns: they/them

❥ type: fluff , comfort , oneshot , imagine

 ❥ pairing: 2018!Donatello x GN!Y/N

❥ warnings: astraphobia , nothing else !!

💜

okay, it's been a very long day for Donatello. first of all, he got no sleep at all, and he had had to repair Splinter's projector like 46237490715 times that day, Leo was being Leo but he's kinda used to that, Mikey kept wanting to skateboard with him which he agreed after some time and Meat Sweats caused yet another ruckus to NYC causing it's heroes in green to save the day which took almost the entire day FYI. Donnie wanted nothing more than to be with his partner in his arms and snuggly and warm.

on the way back to the lair it started to rain...and the rain was heavy and hard. Donnie knew it was going to start pouring at any moment so he sped up in his run, causing his brothers to do the same once the rain picked up at the pace as Leo was about to question Donnie's sudden sprinting.

upon entering the lair he waved to his brothers telling them he was gonna sleepstay up all night once more.

he looked down at his tech watch and the time read 10:34 PM. it wasn't even 11 yet?! the only thing he was excited about at the moment was Y/N in his arms under the covers. he knew you were at the lair because around 10 you messaged him saying you needed to see him and you didn't have any explanation on the way you just said to see you ASAP.

thinking he would see you in his lab he enters it with a tired smile, ready for you to wrap your arms around his body but he was greeted with none of that. the lair was dark and quiet, not what he was expecting at all. 

confused he called out for you only to get no response. he cocked his drawn-on eyebrow and flicked on the lab's light, a purple glow lit it up much to his liking. he looked around to find you and tried to call you.

after two rings he heard a too-familiar ringtone enter his ear. removing the phone from his ear but not hanging up, he followed the source of the ringing to a small bunker deep in the walls of his lair where he stores his old-used tech. " Y/N? " he called out and a small gasp was heard. 

he pushed most of the tech out of his view and he instantly saw your figure huddled into it. " Y/N , what in the name of the pizza-surpreme are you doing ? " he asked as he squats down , his elbows on his knees as he watched you with a close eye. he saw the way you gripped your sweater fabric and your eyes were puffy.

you'd think it might have been hard to see because of the dark light but Donatello actually has great eyesight because of the color of the room, he's gotten used to it. " why were..are you crying , dove ? " his voice was softer now that he's realized you've been crying. when he extended his hand out you quickly took it and began to rub his fingers to know his actually there.

"that's right , i'm here. everything's okay , okay? " he spoke as he allowed you to rub his fingers. he was at first confused by this but he soon realized your breathing, which was at first heavy, was now calm and slow. 

you squeezed your eyes shut to remove some of the tears but that only made more pour due to the pressure you gave. " right , that small space can't possibly be comfortable for you , dear. " he spoke as he gently pulled your arm towards him and you followed as were now basically seated on his lap while his hand rubbed your back.

he wasn't the best when it comes to asking what was wrong, so he straight up asked what was bothering you, and as he said that a loud boom of thunderstruck and you squeaked, covering your ears and face into his plastron. 

with a 'o' face he pulled you back and cupped your cheeks and used his thumbs to wipe the tears away that fell, " the thunder's scarin' you, huh? " with a small nod, you sniffled as Donnie tried his best to hush your cries but failed because, once again, bad at comfort.

" you know, sometimes thunderstorms can be beautiful if you look at them in a different way ? " 

you gave him a puzzled look and he chuckled, " i'm saying you don't have to be afraid of them. yes, they may be dangerous on some levels but at other times they look beautiful. especially when it's over and you see a big, amazing, colorful rainbow that shines down on all the people. " 

he stood up from his seat while you tried to reach back for him, he grabbed your hand and smiled fondly. " follow me ? " it came out more like an ask than an order and you took his hand slowly. as you did he pulled you with him towards the exit of his lair and to the exit. 

you felt some fear but with Donatello by your side, you felt safer than you needed to be. once you both made it outside of the lair and into the sewers, he used his battle shell to float up to the surface all while he had you in his arms. 

you had your eyes closed when you felt the wet rain fall on your skin and suddenly you felt the whirring from Donnie's shell disappear causing you to open your eyes. you saw the dark sky of NYC and dark clouds surround the buildings that were tall. the lighting struck from time-to-time making awesome shapes from all sizes and forms. 

when a sudden thunder roar echoed you screamed silently and jumped back into Donnie's arm who caught you immediately and chuckled when you realized nothing had happened, " what you think it's gonna hurt you ? " he laughed and you puffed your cheeks out and smacked his arm, moving away from him. 

" it's not my fault i hate loud noises ! "

Donnie's laughter slowed as he nods, having a well-known feeling of being afraid of loud noises. " i do not blame you, dove. i used to hate the sound of thunder too when i was a kid ... " he admitted and you gave him a questioning look. " h-how did you face that fear ? " you asked. " the same way you are. expect it was 'Nardo who helped me. he told me the noises may be loud but if you focus on something other than the noise it'll be okay. of course, we were only children and it wasn't the best advice, but it helped ... i was hoping it would help you. "

he was right. the sound of the thunder was soon getting quieter when he and you were chatting over time but it soon came back when you stopped talking which caused you to start once more, " well you know Leo. he may be arrogant but he always tries to help his brothers when they need it ! " 

with a smile Donatello agreed with you. he looked up at you to see your hair drenched as for your clothes. he noticed the sharpie ink that he used to draw his eyebrows was washing away. 

" thank you, D. for this ... " you smiled as you looked around the horizon of the rooftop you both stood upon. " i just wanted to see that smile on your face because a frown looks ugly on you, just saying. " he spoke with a chuckle and you blushed slightly. 

you were glad to have such a loving, caring, thoughtful boyfriend like Donatello. sure he may be horrible at comforting, expressing feelings, and showing emotion but he tries. and that's all you ask from him.