Chapter 4: Driver's test

Pov y/n

My fingers tap the steering wheel and I nervously chew on my bottom lip.

"It's gonna be okay, you're gonna do great." Wanda assures me, her hand gently resting on my thigh, trying to calm me down. I listen to her voice and words and nod slowly, my thoughts still racing.

"What if, I get a shitty tester? What if he or she or they purposefully distract me? Maybe they don't want for me to pass this test, maybe they feel like there are already enough people driving on the streets?" I ramble out some thoughts, my eyes widening at my own words.

"Sunshine?" Wanda asks softly and I turn my head to look at her. Her eyes are just as green and calming as ever and without doing anything else, I feel a wave of calmness washing over me, just from looking at her.

"I know, you are nervous and that's totally okay, everyone is. You are ready though, you've been driving around with Nat for a long time now and I saw and witnessed you drive. You drive safely and know all the rules there are. And even if you don't pass, that's also okay because you can take the test again. It's not uncommon that people need multiple tries. It doesn't make you bad at driving." She assures me, one of her hands coming up to cup my face while the other stays on my thigh.

"Take a few deep breaths, okay? Those are just your nerves that are acting up, we both know you are good at driving and that you've come a long way and I am proud of you for that." She continues, her voice always soft and her eyes never leaving mine.

I take a few deep breaths and feel a few nerves settling down as I think about her words.
She's right, I do feel safe on the road and I am driving safely.
I've also come a long way, considering that I was quite nervous in the beginning.

I talked a lot to Mom about it and whenever I felt overwhelmed, she made sure to tell me that I am still learning and that I don't have to do it perfectly right away. She was patient with me and helped me become less nervous when driving.
It still took me a while until I felt safe enough to sign myself in for the test. Which is okay because everyone does this in their own speed.

Wanda joined us for a few trips and at first that made me nervous as well because I was scared to get into an accident and then I would put Wanda at risk but she assured me as well, that she trusts me and that I won't get into an accident.
And I didn't.
We still had a talk about it that night and I told her that the thought of losing her scares me, especially after I thought I did all those months ago. She held me close that night and told me I won't lose her.

Mom comes out of the building, the driving instructor following her and as if Wanda read my mind, which she doesn't do, she gives me a smile and squeezes my thigh before pecking my lips.

"You got this." She says and gets out of the car, so the instructor can get in.

I take a deep breath, looking at Wanda and Mom on the sidewalk, knowing I have their full support, no matter how this ends.
The instructor introduces himself shortly and he seems to be kind and calm.

"There's no need to be scared of this. We will just drive around a little, just as you did with your mom." He assures me without me saying anything in that direction.

But it still helps me because he's right, we're just gonna drive around, nothing unusual. As long as I'm not too focused on the thought that this is a test, I have nothing to worry about.

Well, that's a little easier said as done. The first ten minutes, I can't get that thought out of my head but when he starts to have some small talk with me, being silent when I have to concentrate, I forget that this is official and talk a little to him, freeing my mind from the nerve wrecking thoughts.