Chapter 10: Patching up

TW: injuries, talking about flashbacks/ptsd

Pov y/n

We reach the nurse’s office and Wanda knocks. The nurse opens and scans me shortly before telling us to come in. I have no idea what I look like but I started catching the blood from my face with my hand, not wanting to leave a trail on the school floor.

“What happened?” The nurse asks and hands me paper towels to clean my hands.

“Just a little fight.” I mumble, the anger fading.

“So, there’s someone else hurt?” She asks and gets out some wipes and band-aids.

“Yeah, he is.” I say but can’t help but to sound a little proud. The nurse sighs and looks from me to Wanda.

“Does he need medical attention?” She asks and I nod. She sighs again but looks at Wanda.

“Can you take care of her for now? I’m gonna check up on the other candidate.” She asks and Wanda nods.

The nurse quickly tells her what to do before grabbing a little first-aid-kit and rushing out. Wanda turns to me and for a second I am not sure how she feels about the situation but then her eyes soften.

“Does it hurt badly?” She asks and grabs a wipe, carefully cleaning my face.

“A little, yeah.” I admit and hiss a little when she wipes over my cheek. She looks at me apologetically.

“What happened?” She asks, no judgement in her voice so far and I feel safe enough around her to tell her.

“I overheard them talking about the Avengers being overrated and then that guy starting talking disgustingly about Mom and then you, so I told him to shut up and it escalated. He pushed me away, so I gave him a push in return and he didn’t like that and yeah.” I gesture towards my face and worry shows in Wanda’s eyes.

“How did he…” She doesn’t finish the sentence but I still know what she’s asking.
I sigh and start to play with my fingers while she grabs a wipe and holds it to my nose, stopping the bleeding that apparently came from there.

“When he raised his hand, I got a flashback. It was only short but enough so he could hit me a few times. But I got back to the now and made him pay.” I answer and Wanda’s eyes show a row of different emotions. Starting off with concerned, even more concerned and then a tiny bit proud.

“You had a flashback?” She asks, her voice soft and calm, as always when she calmed me down during or after a panic attack. I hum in agreement while she lifts up one of my own hands to hold the tissue in place while she grabs a band-aid.

“From what?” She asks softly. One of the things I worked out with my therapist was, that talking about what I saw and felt helps me because later on, I can separate a flashback from real life and remember that there is nothing that’s currently threatening me, keeping me from going into a spiral later that day or the next day.

“From the Red Room, where Dreykov or the widows would hit me.” I tell her, my voice surprisingly steady. She nods, putting the band-aid on my cheek.

“How did that make you feel?” She asks. I take a breath and remember what I felt in that moment.

“Scared, weak, vulnerable.” I list of and she nods, stopping the patching up to take my free hand.

“It is okay to feel that way. And you are safe here, nothing can happen to you.” She assures me and I smile a little at her. I am aware of all that but hearing it from her still feels nice and calming.