Chapter 48: Decisions

Pov y/n

"So?" Wanda asks as I come back to the table, flopping down onto a chair and looking over the brunch that arrived while I was on the phone.

"He found a few apartments that are available and around the size we wanted." I share and Wanda's eyes grow a little bigger in excitement before I continue.

"But the rent is a little higher than expected and there is always a deposit and they're all not furnished apart from the bathroom and kitchen."
Her little smile falters and she slumps a little in her chair.

"We don't have a lot of money left..." She says, looking at her backpack in which we keep the money at the moment. I nod and sigh, being very aware of that fact.

"We either have to lent the money from anyone or ask for a credit at a bank. Although I kinda doubt that they will give us one, considering our age and the fact that we don't have a job." I list off and Wanda nods thoughtfully while I grab a toast and the strawberry jelly.

For a while we just sit in silence and have brunch, both thinking about how to continue this.

So far, I never really had to worry about money because I lived with my Mom and if I needed something, I could ask her or Tony. I am very aware of the luxury of that right now.
But it's not like we could call any of them now and ask them for money. Maybe we could ask Steve but we don't have his number nor do we know where he is.

After we ate the food, we discuss our options a little more. None of them are really what we hoped for but we have to make a decision because the longer we wait, the more difficult it'll get and the less money we will have left.
We discuss a few pros and cons and talk about what is realistic.
Wanda also adds that faking ID's, apart from the name, might not be the best start because if anyone finds out, we are in really big trouble and we can't really have that right now.

So, we think further, considering multiple things on our list because we can't allow ourselves to ignore every point that follows just because we're figuring out one.
It is a long talk and the waitress comes and cleans up our table, asking if we need anything else and because we don't want to leave or be rude, we order a cup of tea each.

Very slowly but surely, a plan forms and we make a few notes, so we don't forget it. The only problem is the money part. We assumed the price for cheap tickets to England and even if we spend a little more money, we should be fine but we can't stay here that much longer.

The part with the fake ID's is something we haven't figured out yet but we will at some point. If it comes to worst, we have to go to the registry office in London and tell them we lost ours or something like that. It is more complicated than I thought and also more than they show in movies or shows.

Eventually, we know what to do next and I ask to use the cafés telephone one more time. I tap my foot against the floor, waiting for Cole to pick up. It takes a little while but I am assuming that's because the call is overseas.

"Hello?" He says and I close my eyes for a second before collecting all the courage that I have.

"We would like to take the second apartment you offered." I say, totally forgetting to introduce myself but it seems like he knows who I am either way.

"Alright, I will send them a..." He trails off and I can only hear the keys clacking for a while.

"How are you gonna afford it?" He asks and I've been afraid he's gonna ask that.

"We will have to see if a bank allows us to take a credit." I say and hold my breath, worried he might say it's a dumb idea or comment on it otherwise. But all he does is hum.

"Apartment owners don't really like that and they also want to know what salary you have, to be sure, you can pay regular rent." He lets me know and I deflate a little. Everything is building up on each other but it seems like we can't even get the foundation going.

"Call or text me as soon as you have a bank account, I'm gonna send you some money over and talk to the landlord." He says and I frown a little at his offer.

I don't even really know this man but he is ready to send us, or me, enough money to pay the deposit and the first rent?

Something inside me tells me to say 'no thank you', my pride not happy about this but I have to swallow that because we don' have another option.

"We will pay you back asap. We're gonna get jobs and work hard, earning back the money you lent us." I promise, not wanting him to think I'm gonna take the money and not pay it back. Not, if it's this much at least.

"That's okay. It can be hard to become independent, so take all the time you need. I know, you'll eventually be able to pay me back but for now I want you to get started and not worry about that." He says and I feel a tiny smile tugging on my lips, that is really nice of him and I am not sure how to express that.

"Thank you...that's really kind." I say, cringing a little because I know that that's not nearly enough of a thank you.

"It's totally fine. I missed so many years of your life, if on purpose or not doesn't matter, so now I want to make sure, you are cared for and safe, hoping that maybe we can meet in person one day." He explains and I am not quite sure how to feel about that.

I understand that he has these hopes and yes, he is doing us a huge favor right now but I am not sure if I am ready to meet him.
Until a couple of days back, I didn't know there was a voice to my father, that he actually is interested in bonding with me and now he is doing so much for me.
It's confusing and I'm not sure what to reply, so I simply say 'yeah'.

We talk for a few more minutes and he tells me, how this is probably going to go and I hum and nod in response, trying to remember everything. I tell him that I'll call him, once it's time to visit the apartment. For that I need a phone but Wanda and I wanted to buy a cheap one anyways.

I meet her again when I get out of the café and exhale. Her eyes dart from the stones in front of her to me and she gets up, looking at me in question. I tell her what Cole told me over the phone and her eyes light up a little, excited that our plan may work.
I am happy as well but I also feel a little exhausted from all the driving, thinking and discussing today. My ribs hurt but there is not much I can do about it right now.

Wanda notices my exhaustion and promises me that we will find a hotel soon but before that, we need to book our flights and get new ID's because the secretary sure as hell will keep an eye out for everyone who leaves this country, especially for Wanda and me.

I drive us to a near by library and we use one of their computers to search for flights to London. I'm a little surprised, that the flight isn't very long but it's good because long flights are exhausting.
The price is...okay I guess and we choose a flight tomorrow evening because Wanda said she wanted to take care of the ID's first.

I'm not sure what exactly that means but I'm letting her do her thing, not asking any follow up questions. I also search a few random things, just to keep my mind off the stress I feel when thinking about the fact that we basically have nothing to rely on at the moment.

I find out that you aren't allowed to drive in Germany until you're 18 and feel a new kind of anxiety, knowing we are in some trouble when the police catches us.
It doesn't change the fact thought that we have to drive to the airport tomorrow to catch our flight.

I also figure out, where we are and how long it'll take us to get to the airport tomorrow.
While I do that, Wanda strolls through the rows of bookshelves, marveling at all the books, which reminds me that she never was at a library before and that this must be like book-heaven for her.

An hour later, we make our way to a small hotel that is cheaper than the one we stayed at last night but the bed is also less comfortable. While Wanda is in the bathroom, I take a look at the list we made earlier today and make mental checks behind the things we more or less managed.

I let myself drop onto the bed, hiding my face in my hands and groaning a little.
I didn't want for the Avengers to fall apart, I didn't want to have to flee but here I am, on the run because I would be put into a cell otherwise.

When did my life become such a chaos? 

A/n: Thanks for reading and love to you all <3