Chapter 55: Public

Pov y/n

We eat in peace and my nerves settle down. My energy is low after the panic attack but after a nap, I will be just fine again. Wanda and I finish our brunch and pay before going outside. She takes my hand and I smile at her, which she returns.
We walk down the street and onto a market that I didn't know was here but it is. It's not huge and has a calm, relaxing vibe.

"Can we stroll over it?" I ask and point with our intertwined hands to the market. Wanda smiles and lifts our hands up to kiss the back of mine.

"Of course, baby." She replies, her words and action giving me little butterflies.

We walk over and look at the different booths where they sell fruits, vegetables, cheese, sausages, candles, decoration and everything the heart desires. If we had more money, I for sure would have bought something but we need to save that money, so I don't.

I notice Wanda glancing at a few rings though that are right next to a few picture frames with freshly married couples. At least I think, she is looking at the rings.

We stop at a booth that sells crystals and I marvel at the beauty of them. It always amazed me, how nature can make such colorful things. Sure, I know there are chemical reactions behind it and all that sciency stuff but I ignore that. I just take it as a wonder that we have such beautiful crystals on earth.

When Wanda shifts next to me and her hand tenses up, I look over. She isn't looking at me or the crystals, she's looking at a mother with a child, around ten or so. The girl is looking at Wanda and narrows her eyes a little as if she was in deep thought.

I don't need to be able to read Wanda's mind to know what she is thinking, so I gently tug her further. She follows me, her eyes darting around the people that surround us. I try to stay calm and not worry about what this could potentially mean because nothing happened, not yet.

But that changes just a few seconds later, when we hear a child's voice calling: "Wanda Maximoff?"

Wanda stops in her tracks, almost getting pale. She slowly turns around and I watch the little girl coming closer, dragging her mother along, her eyes sparkling in excitement.

"Are you Wanda Maximoff, the Avenger?" She asks excitedly, rocking back and forth on her heels. Wanda glances around, no one really seems to have noticed us and the girl sounds so sure, that lying would probably just cause a bigger scene.

"I am, but I'm undercover here." She says, forcing a smile onto her face. The girl nods, her expression becoming a little more serious.

"I will keep it a secret." She promises and a hint of a real smile appears on Wanda's face.

"You are so cool and so pretty!" The girl tells her and my heart warms up at the honest compliment. Wanda's eyes light up a little and she genuinely smiles at the little girl.

"Thank you. You are pretty too." She replies and the girl's eyes grow big and she tugs on her mother's sleeve who has been watching this whole interaction.

"She thinks I'm pretty." She whisper-shouts and I can't help it but to chuckle at that. The mother nods and politely smiles at us, not as excited as her daughter to see us.

"Are there any other Avengers here?" The girl asks and looks around but Wanda quickly shakes her head.

"No, it's just us." She says and gestures between her and me. The girl looks up at me and it takes her a few seconds to recognize me. She gasps.

"Aren't you the Black Widow's daughter?" She squeals, a little too loud to go unnoticed by the people around us.
Shit, a few are looking into our direction. I nod with a tight-lipped smile and the girl squeals again, pulling even more attention to us.

"It was great meeting you but we have to keep moving." I say quickly and the girl nods in understanding, a huge smile on her face and if the situation wasn't this... dangerous for us, I would have found that cute.

"Say hello to the other Avengers from me." She says and Wanda nods hastily before waving goodbye and pulling me further. We definitely pulled some people's attention and it feels like they all are staring at us, which is probably not quite true.

"We are busted." Wanda mumbles when she notices someone pointing their phone at us. It wouldn't help to tell them to put it away or delete it because that would mean we'd have to stick around longer and we can't tell all the people to not film us or delete it. The only thing we can do, is to hurry up to get home and make a plan.

And we do just that. Even though adrenaline is pumping through my veins, I feel exhausted and drop down onto the bed while Wanda paces around the room.

"This is bad, this is really bad." She says and I nod in agreement.

"We should expect to see ourselves in the news tonight." I mumble and she sighs but agrees with me. We knew that this would happen, sooner or later and now it's sooner.

"We can't stay here. London is too public." Wanda states and I have to agree with her. Even though we just started building up something here, we can't stay. In at least three days, the secretary will be here to bring us back to the USA and lock us in.

"We have to move." I say and Wanda stops and looks at me before nodding.

"I'd say we have to leave England, just to be sure." She suggests and as much as I would like to deny that, I can't because she is right. Once they heard we are in England, they will search every city.

"Maybe...we can stay in the UK though." I think out loud and Wanda thinks about the offer before she nods.

"We also can't exactly afford another plane ticket to somewhere else in the world. It's not like we're gonna fly over to Australia." She sighs and I agree with her. Even though that would be far away from here, it wouldn't work because the tickets are expensive and I also don't really want to move to a country with so many dangerous animals.

"Scotland?" She offers and I think about it before I nod.

"Scotland." I agree and she runs a hand through her hair, a clear sign that this is stressing her out.

"We shouldn't stay here much longer. I'd say, we check out tomorrow first thing in the morning and take the first available train to Scotland." She says and I think about it. We have no idea where to go in Scotland or what to do there but that's nothing new. This time I would just choose a city that isn't one of the most popular ones.

"Looks like we're going to Scotland." I say.

It feels weird saying it and especially since I know it's not just empty words. We are really going to Scotland, leaving everything behind once more.

"We have to quit our jobs." I say and Wanda looks at me, totally having forgotten about that as it seems.

"We can just hope that they will pay us for the week we worked there but I highly doubt it." She says and plops down next to me on the bed.
I sigh, I doubt that too. I mean Mrs. Greendale might pay me but Wanda's workplace surely won't.

But at least it was only one week we worked for nothing and not more. It also would have been a little more complicated to move if we had an apartment. Which makes me think of Cole again.

He might be able to get us another apartment but I am not in the mood to call him at all. Maybe, we have to do this one on our own.
I look over at Wanda, who looks equally as tired as I feel. Our lives are one big mess right now and I have no idea where it's gonna lead us but I hope, that it will allow us to have some peace, just for a while at least.

Maybe one day this whole "being a runaway" thing isn't such a big deal anymore and maybe one day, we are able to return to the US without having to fear to be imprisoned.

"Scotland." Wanda whispers, more to herself than to me.

Maybe London was never meant for us. The apartment wasn't right, the jobs didn't feel right, Wanda feels bad for being here without her brother and the city is just too big and important to be able to hide in it.

All of it piles up and is a clear sign, that we have to leave London. Maybe we can explore it together another time, when we are not wanted. But for now, we will leave another city and hopefully be able to build a life, where ever we might end up.

As long as she is by my side, I am sure, we can handle it, whatever the universe throws at us.

Looking back at where it all began, it's crazy what happened since I started loving a Maximoff.

A/n: That's the end of this book.

But don't worry, there is a third book coming your way!
It's gonna be a while until I upload it, since I'm currently pretty occupied with another story and won't manage to proof-read book 3. 

I will inform you when I upload it though, either here or on my profile, so follow me if you don't want to miss any news. :)

And just as a little teaser, here's the titel of the 3rd book: Becoming a Maximoff.

I hope you enjoyed it and I would like to get your feedback on this story. 

I'm aware, that a lot of the story in here isn't originally from me and I'm sorry if that was boring for you.

Thank you so much for reading and love to you all <3