Chapter 6: Happy Birthdays, Pietro

TW: grief

Pov Wanda

Even though, y/n really did her best to make my day great, which I really appreciate, I'm not able to shake a certain sadness off me. It has nothing to do with her, not at all. It's more like the day that is today.

I didn't quite have had the time to think about it yet, since y/n was really sweet and kept me occupied, in a good way. But now that she's doing the dishes, humming a random tune while I'm sitting at the counter, my thoughts go into the direction I am kind of scared of. I play with the thought of asking her to take me somewhere. It may make it worse but I just need to go there today, otherwise I would feel like I would betray him.

I watch as y/n dances a little around the kitchen while putting a few things away. Then I get up and approach her.
She turns around to me with a smile that fades a little when she sees my face. She has always been good in reading my emotions off my face, which I adore about her.

"What's the matter? Is something wrong?" She asks and takes my hands, giving them a light squeeze.

I'm not sure how to word my thoughts or how to ask her.
But she doesn't push me to talk to her, she gives me time to sort my words and when I am finally able to meet her eyes, they show worry.

"Could we, maybe, go to the cemetery today?" I ask silently and bite the inside of my cheek, not sure how she reacts.

Not that she ever reacted badly to anything, she's very compassionate and somehow always finds the right words. But this time I know it's a heavy topic, especially after the happy morning we had.

"Of course, we can. If you wanna visit him, then that's what we're gonna do." She says in a soft voice, her green eyes showing not a single bit of doubt or dislike and it feels like a little weight is lifted off my chest.

She doesn't judge me for my wish and she also knew why I wanted to go there. Sometimes I'm not sure if she is as aware of this as I am but she seems to know exactly what I am talking about right now and that makes my heart a little warmer, having someone by my side who understands me without me having to say a lot.

"Do you wanna go there now?" She asks and I nod slowly.
I think the sooner we go, the sooner I can process it and we can go on with being happy and everything.
I just don't want to carry this with me the whole day, silently pulling my mood down.

"Alright, I will put the last few things away and then we can go change and head to the car." She offers and I nod in agreement.
Her fingertips brush lightly over the back of my hand and she gives me a reassuring smile before letting me go and quickly putting the last few things away.

I swallow when I look up at the sign.
I'm not sure what I expected, but the atmosphere here is heavy and dark, hovering over all of it.

"Do you want me to wait for you or do you want me to go with you?" Y/n asks and I turn around to look at her.
She's wrapped up in a scarf and a hat, gloves on her hands. It's pretty cold, even for December but she doesn't seem bothered by it.

"I think...I would want you to go with me." I say and she nods, taking a step closer.

Her hand is slightly extended towards me, offering me her hand but not forcing me to take it.
Her whole body language is like that. She watches me and offers me touch, comfort, whatever I need but not pushing me to take it.
It's not as if I would deny her offers if I don't take them, they are just small gestures that give me the opportunity to take it or leave it.

I take her hand and even through our gloves I can feel the warmth of her hand and it gives me a little bit of comfort. For the last time, I glance up at the sign before entering the cemetery.