Chapter 53: The apartment

Pov y/n

The next day, we get ready to go see the apartment we might want to rent. We're both a little more silent than usual.Which, for my part, is because I am still thinking about the letter Steve sent us. It's not that I don't trust him but knowing he found out where we are makes me worry that he's not gonna be the only one to figure it out. Whatever way he used, there will be others who can use it too and then our cover could be blown or, in the worst case, we'll get caught and put into prison cells. Just the thought of that give me a queasy feeling and I try to shake it off, concentrating on today and hoping to get the apartment.

On our way there, we stop at the bank and put the money Steve sent us onto Wanda's account. It's safer than keeping it in our hotel room. We stroll down the street towards the apartment building and I look up at the sky. It's grey and it looks like it's going to start raining any moment.

"I really don't like the weather here." I say, not specifically to Wanda, more into the open. She hums and glances up at the sky.

"Me neither, it makes me feel so sad for no reason." She agrees with my view and I smile a little and reach for her hand. I intertwine our fingers.

"But you are the only sunshine I need." She adds a little more silent and my heart melts at her honest words. They came totally out of the blue and are very cheesy but I love it. I look at her with love filled eyes and smile.

"And you are the only one that I need." I say, making her smile as well.

We continue our way in silence and I think about how the mood between us shifted since we arrived here. It's not that we don't like or love each other anymore, it's just... everything that happened at the airport and the running away hangs above us and we are both trying to adjust to the new situation. The capacity to be sweet and romantic isn't quite there right now but I think that's okay, it'll come back. We are still together and she is the one I love most in the whole world and I am not doubting that it is any different the other way around.

When we finally arrive at the apartment building, we are greeted by the landlord. I'm gonna be honest, he looks a little grumpy and not like the trustworthiest person but having an apartment is better than living in a hotel.

"Are you Miss Blackwood and Miss Melford?" He asks and we nod in agreement.

"We are here to see the apartment." Wanda says and he mumbles something that I don't catch but I choose to ignore it. He leads us into the staircase and we follow him up to the second level where he fumbles with some keys and opens adoor.

"This is the apartment. It's small but has everything you need: a kitchen, a bathroom and a bedroom." He counts and gestures around. We follow him and I let go of Wanda's hand to explore on my own.

It honestly is even smaller than I expected. When you step inside, there's a door on either side of the little hallway. To my left, there's a kitchen that is furnished, which is good but so small that I doubt that two people could work in there without going on eachother's nerves.

Wanda makes a sound that is a little dismissive and we switch and I take a look into the bathroom. I totally understand the sound she just made. The bathroom looks run down and there are stains on the walls that look disgusting. The toilet is small and looks like it could break off the wall at any moment. Makes going to the toilet more interesting I suppose, it's like a game of Russian roulette just that you won't die but maybe break off the toilet and sit on the ground while doing your thing. The sink looks decent but altogether, I am not sure if I trust that there will be clean water.

"And this is the bedroom." The landlord tells us and opens the third door at the end of the little hallway. Wanda and I look inside. The room is completely empty and not very big. A double bed will fill most of the space and a dresser the rest of it.