Chapter 32: The Call

Pov y/n

The next week, we also don't have to go to school and it makes me a little suspicious but I guess that's because of the bomb that went off and Tony and Mom just want to make sure that we are safe.

Wanda and I decided on a little training session, so we don't get out of training or shape.
It also helps to distract us from our thoughts.

I can tell that she has been in her head a little more since this morning. I can't tell what she is thinking about but I also didn't ask yet. She will tell me when she's ready.

In the afternoon, I do some school work, not wanting to fail my senior year. While I'm sitting in the dining room, Wanda is in the kitchen, sorting out some things that aren't good anymore. It's silent and when the elevator opens with a little ‚ding', I look up, expecting Vision but it's not him.
It's Maria, seeming a little confused.

„Hey, Maria." I greet her and when she sees me, she starts approaching me. Wanda just shortly glances into our direction before going back to sorting out the kitchen.

"Y/n." Maria says and I nod, a bit surprised to see her up here since she is usually downstairs.

"There's a call for you." She says and I frown a little, not quite understanding what she means because my phone is right next to me an isn't ringing.

"Downstairs in one of our offices." She adds and I am even more confused. Why should someone call me over the S.H.I.E.L.D. offices?
And who?
Mom would call me on my phone and so would my friends.

"Who is it?" I ask and to my surprise, Maria shrugs. Usually, she knows pretty much everything that's going on.

"They didn't say who they are." She explains.
"They just just said they want to talk to you, not wanting to give us their name or anything. We tried to end the call but they called again. It sounded like a man's voice." She tells me and now Wanda looks up, seeming equally as confused as I am and also a bit worried.

"Okay, I'm coming down then." I decide and Maria nods.

"I'm coming as well." Wanda says and puts down what she was doing. I nod.

"We have the line secured and the call is being recorded." Maria informs me about the safety details and I nod.

We take the elevator downstairs and she leads us through the hallways. We end up in an office but I don't know whose it is. Maria points at the phone that's laying next to the computer.
I share a look with Wanda and sit at the desk chair, taking the phone in my hand, no idea what to expect. I gulp and hold the phone up to my ear.

"Hello?" I ask and nibble at my bottom lip in nervousness.

"Y/n?" An unknown voice asks and I look at Wanda, not sure how to react.

"Yes?" I ask back.

"Y/n Romanoff?" He asks a second time and it really does sound like a man's voice.

"Yes." I confirm, finding this interaction more than strange.

"My name is Cole." He introduces himself and Wanda looks at me questioningly.

I shrug in reply, no clue who he is. I take a pen and quickly write his name on a sticky note, holding it up to Maria but she shrugs as well, not familiar with the name.

"Okay." I say slowly, not sure what to reply or do right now.
"And how do you know who I am?"

"They mentioned you in the news a few nights back. You're Natasha Romanoff's daughter, right?" He continues and I frown. They did mention me in the news but that doesn't explain any of this.