Chapter 50: Dear Mom

Pov Natasha

I'm waiting for Tony as he's currently speaking to the doctor about Rhodey's wellbeing. It's been a few days since the fight at the airport in Germany and we are back at the compound now.

Tony comes out of the door and I approach him. He looks at me, his eyes showing distance but he nods for me to follow him. We go to a little balcony that looks over the yard in front of the compound. He tells me what the doctor said and I am a little sad to hear, that Rhodey is badly injured but at least he is alive.

"Isn't that a sign, that we can't continue like this?" I ask, looking over the yard before meeting Tony's eyes, which harden. He exhales and looks away, crossing his arms.

"You let them go, Nat." He says and I wanna roll my eyes at that but he isn't wrong.
I let Steve and Bucky go and kept T'Challa from getting to them. But I don't regret it.
After talking to y/n and realizing what it means if the government gets them, I made a decision. Yes, I may have switched sides but I don't think I can be blamed for that. Everyone makes mistakes and I didn't want to continue like that.

"We played this wrong." I try to explain and Tony huffs, finally meeting my eyes.

"'We'. It must be hard to shake off that double agent thing. Sticks in the DNA." He says and just for that I want to punch him in the face. He knows about my past and even in a moment like this, it's a low blow.

"I'm not a double agent, Tony and you know it! I changed my opinion, yes. But that is nothing you can come at me for. Are you able to let go of your ego for one goddamn second?" I cross my arms as well.

"This is not about ego, Nat. We signed a contract and you willingly disobeyed it." He states and I run my tongue along my teeth, annoyed by his accusing tone.

"I understand that you don't get why I did what I did, but believe me, I had my reasons." I tell him firmly and he lightly shakes his head.

"We almost lost Rhodey because of this. If we just let them continue, this is gonna blow up." He says, gesturing around with one hand and I laugh without humor.

"Are you really this arrogant to only see your side of everything? I lost my daughter, Tony! I have no clue where she is or if she is injured or maybe even dead!" I say, clenching my jaw and trying to ignore the ache in my chest. I don't think she's dead but I have no idea. Tony's eyes flicker to me.

"And you didn't let her go too?" He asks almost coldly and I want to scream at him but compose myself.

"No. When I came out onto the airport she was gone and so was Wanda. And if I am being honest, I am glad they are because I could not watch them get imprisoned for fighting what they believe in."

That is only partly true. On the one hand, I am really glad they didn't get caught, on the other hand, I have no idea where they are and how they're doing and that's worrying me a lot. Tony gives me an annoyed look before looking back over the yard.

"She had no business being in that fight." He says and I know he is talking about y/n. I want to agree with him but then I remember her words and shake my head.

"Her life would have been ruled by this just as much as ours and she is allowed to have a different opinion." I defend her, hating that it took me this long to realize and accept that.
If I would have thought so sooner, maybe I wouldn't have lost her.

Tony doesn't say anything and just stares ahead. I know he is also sad about her being gone but also angry because he wasn't able to fight her, too scared to hurt her in any way.

"T'Challa told Ross what you did, they are coming for you." He says after a while and I roll my eyes and huff, as if I care about that. I can take care of myself and stay hidden if I need to.