Chapter 25: Lack of responsibility

Pov y/n

The atmosphere was weird, so I was glad when Wanda and I left the room and went up to ours.
She has been in her thoughts ever since and I leave her all the time she needs, to process that.
It's a lot and I can't imagine how hard all of this must be for her, especially with what happened in Lagos only a few days ago.

It's piling up a little right now and even though I am doing my best to support her, I can't help with processing and finding her peace with it.

"Do you think, I made the right decision?" She asks me and I look up from my paper that I started writing a new story onto.

Writing helps me process things and it also makes them seem a little clearer sometimes, even if it's not journaling but a story that I am writing.

"Well, that depends on who you ask but I would say yes and as long as you feel comfortable with it, it is the right decision." I answer and she hums in thought.

"So, you don't think it'll have consequences that I won't sign?" She asks further and I shake my head, spinning around to face her better.

"I think there will be general consequences in terms of reactions and all that stuff but those would be there no matter which decision you make." I say honestly and she nods slowly, thinking about my words. Wanda leans back again, getting lost in her mind and I let her.
A knock pulls me out of my thoughts and I glance at Wanda before answering.

"Come in." I call and the door opens and reveals Mom. She smiles a little at us but there is something in her eyes that tells me that this isn't just a friendly check-in.

"Y/n, can I talk to you?" She asks and her tone tells me that this is gonna be a serious conversation. I look at Wanda, not sure if she needs my moral support right now but she nods, so I get up, give Wanda a kiss on the cheek and leave the room with Mom. She leads me to her own and gestures at the little sofa in her room. I take a seat and she sits down next to me, taking a deep breath before starting to talk.

"I know, today was a little tense and quite a lot to take in." She starts and I nod a little, it was a lot indeed but I'm handling it.

"I loosely looked through the accords and talked to Tony about certain paragraphs. They don't just want us to sign the accords but also everyone in the training program since you are on the way to becoming an Avenger and they just want to make sure, there won't be any loop holes." Mom explains and I frown a little.
That's new, so far I thought only the Avengers have to sign them but it looks like they want me to sign it as well. But they can wait a long time until that happens. I stick with my opinion that those accords are bullshit and I won't sign them.

"Okay, so?" I ask and Mom sighs a little.

"You aren't 18 and therefore not legally allowed to sign something like this, or make this decision." She says carefully and my eyes widen slowly as I start to realize what she is gonna say.
"I am your mother and legal guardian, so I have to make this decision for you." She continues and I shake my head.

"No, I won't sign those accords." I interject, knowing her view on this topic from the previous discussion. She sighs a little and slightly shakes her head.
"I know but I will and I will sign them for you too and-"

"No, Mom! You can't do that." I interrupt her appalled.
"I don't agree with what they stand for and I'm not signing anything that will forbid me to help people if they need it!"
Mom's expression hardens slightly, only barely noticeable but I still see it.

"I can do that. I am aware that you don't agree with them but the Avengers need to be put in check. If the UN thinks, it's better to have an oversight over what we are doing, then we shouldn't ignore that. They are huge and honestly, I think they know very well, what they are doing." She points out but I shake my head.

"They might be huge but they don't know what this means for us. I won't wait for someone else to allow me to help someone. Because maybe, it's already too late then and I can't help that person anymore because it took too much time to wait for permission." I say, crossing my arms, feeling a bit of anger building up inside me.

"You didn't even go on missions yet...there won't be much change to how it's now." Mom tries to calm me but I just huff and get up, needing to move. She watches me pace up and down a little.

"And why am I not on missions yet? Because you told me to wait and I did. I trained so much and I worked on so many mental issues. I'm not a helpless kid anymore, Mom. I want to help people, I want to fight for them. I can be responsible but you're not letting me!" I say. Not everything might be a hundred percent true but I am a little too angry to think about that now.
Mom laughs dryly and gets up, clearly annoyed.

"No, you can not. I let you be responsible and what was the result? A fight in school and underage drinking. That's not what I would call 'being responsible'. Lately, there was a lack of responsibility in your behavior and I won't let that ruin your future. You may not like it but I will sign those accords for the both of us. Maybe, if you can prove that you are responsible, they allow you to do things more freely but for now, I honestly don't see you handling all of that yourself. I know myself how hard it can be to choose the right way but believe me, this is it." She says sternly and I shake my head, not wanting to believe what she's telling me right now.

"You're taking my right to decide away. You won't even listen to what I have to say. I don't want to sign those accords, why can't you accept that?" I ask angrily, feeling like she's being really unfair right now.

"You are allowed to have that opinion but it doesn't change how I feel about it. We can't risk, causing more and more damage and not care about who has to handle that. It is time that we stand up for what we did and face the consequences of it." Mom says, crossing her arms as well, a clear sign that she won't back down.

"Those aren't my consequences though. You said yourself that I didn't do any of that damage, so why do I have to pay for it?" I ask and she taps her arm with her fingers.

"Because they want to make sure, that no one suddenly pops up, going against the accords and saying they never had anything to do with the accords. It's a prevention." She answers, trying to keep her calm but I can see that she doesn't have much patience left.

"I don't agree with those accords and I don't want to sign them." I state and raise my chin a little.

"I know you don't but it's the right and smart thing to do right now. Besides, you won't be the one signing them anyways. I will fly to Vienna in a few days, to attend the meeting and there I will sign the accords. For the both of us." She adds and I press my lips together.

"You are totally ignoring my opinion." I press out and for a second, she needs to think about what to answer to that.

"I just don't trust your recent decision making, that's it. Besides, signing those accords will give you more safety as the secretary or the US government know that you won't do anything they didn't approve of. The focus won't be on you and you can continue to live your life the way you did." She says, a bit of motherly care in her voice but I don't care.

Mom might have the best intentions but I am almost an adult and should be allowed to decide this myself. The fact that I have been in trouble in quite a short time isn't wrong but that's completely different. This decision is huge and not having a say in it, just is unfair.

"I expect you to behave while I am gone, okay?" Mom asks, her voice a little softer again but I don't change my position at all.

"Why? I thought you knew that I couldn't make good decisions?" I ask sarcastically and earn a little, strict look from Mom.

"Don't give me this attitude now. This is something totally different and I won't change my mind. You might not agree with this right now but at some point, you will understand why I did it." She says and I huff, shaking my head. Discussing this won't lead anywhere, we won't get on the same terms here.

"I hate that you sign those accords in my name." I say sharply and walk to the door. Mom sighs a little but doesn't seem like my words hurt her.

"It's the best for you right now and I hope you will understand that." She says and I just roll my eyes and close the door behind me, maybe with a bit more force than intended.
This is not fucking fair!

A/n: Nat made the decision for us...

Thanks for reading and love to you all <3