Chapter 34: Paprikash

Pov Wanda

Hearing from y/n's father was a little strange and I can tell that it is a lot to process for her but she has been doing good with that.
She wrote in her journal and it seems as if she's slowly getting used to that thought.

I on the other hand wasn't so successful when it comes to processing and moving on.
My mind has been racing with the same thoughts again and even though it's annoying me, I can't turn it off.

I watched the news, which talk a lot about what happened in Vienna. They say, that lately everywhere the Avengers go, there's chaos and destruction and as much as I would like to deny that, I can't. It made me think of Lagos again and deep inside me, I feel fear rising. Fear, that I will hurt people, that I might kill them and that they are afraid of what I am.

I wish I understood why I have these powers and where they came from exactly but I don't know. My mind has been spinning and I don't like it. I wish I could just enjoy the time with y/n and forget about my worries.

I sigh and get out of the shower, drying myself off.
I go into the bedroom to find it empty. Before I went to take a shower, y/n was sitting at the desk but I suppose she got bored and went to do something else.

When I go to my clothes, I smile, finding a little paper heart on top of the little pile. It has y/n's handwriting on it. .
.I put it aside for now and get dressed and dry my hair before coming back to the little note.
I didn't know she could fold paper hearts but it's adorable and makes my heart a little soft. I read what she wrote on there:
Hey, daisy. I prepared a little surprise for you in the kitchen <3

My heart starts to beat a little faster in excitement, wondering what she could have planned.
I put the heart into my jeans pocket and take the elevator downstairs. When I get out of it, I can already smell food and smile to myself.

When I step into the kitchen, I see y/n standing in front of the stove, stirring something in a pot while reading something from a paper. She wears my apron and frowns a bit in concentration, looking pretty cute and it warms my heart.

"What are you making?" I ask and step closer, pulling her out of her little world. She looks at me and her face lights up a little, a smile forming on her lips.

"I thought, I'd make you some food to lift your spirits." She tells me and looks a little critical into the pod. I chuckle and step next to her.

"Spirits lifted." I smile and kiss her cheek. She looks at me happily before pointing at the pod.

"I was trying to make Paprikash, since I know it's your favorite. I even got a receipe..." She trails off and points at the paper. My heart fills with love for her and I kiss her on the lips. How can someone be this cute?

"May I?" I ask and nod to the pod.
She nods a little defeated, clearly giving up a little on this dish.
It's not the easiest to cook and with her almost non exsisting cooking skills, it would be a true miracle if she did it perfectly the first time.

I take the wooden spoon she was using to stir it and dip it into the sauce, blowing a little cold air onto it, so it won't burn my tongue. She watches me closely and expectantly. I try it and smile a bit.

"I don't know what this is but it's not paprikash." I chuckle a bit and she pouts. I wrap my arms around her and pull her a little closer.

"I did everything what the receipe said." She says a little defensive and looks at the sheet of paper next to her on the counter. I smile and kiss her cheek.

"I believe you. It still isn't paprikash to me though. But that's okay, I will teach you how to do it one day." I assure her and her eyes light up a little.

"I'd like that." She says and pecks my lips with a smile.
"Me too."

"How about, we go to the store to grab some things and I make us some paprikash, so you at least know, how it tastes?" I suggest and she smile sweetly at me and nods.

"Alright." She agrees and I smile and undo the knot on her, or my, apron, throwing it onto the counter for later.
"But I really tried my best." She says and I nod with a soft expression.

"I know and I really appreciate it, baby. It defininitly made my mood better." I tell her and take her hand, giving it a little squeeze.

"Can I ask what pulled your mood down?" She asks carefully and I nod slowly, leading her to the barstools and sitting down on them.

"I have been watching the news again and it sounds like they think I am a monster. People are afraid of me, of what I can do and what I am." I explain, letting a little red ball appear and playing with it between my fingers. She looks at me and nods slowly, understanding what I mean.

"And I am not sure, how much I believe what they say because honestly, sometimes I'm afraid of myself. I don't know how exactly I got these powers and how to fully control them. I don't want people to be afraid of me. But at the same time, I feel like, when I am afraid, my powers tend to act out a little more, which makes people more afraid and it's just a circle, you know?" I ask and look from the red ball between my fingers at her. She nods thoughtfully and gently places her hand on my thigh.

"I get that you are scared and I can't exactly take that away from you, sadly. I can support you in helping dealing with it but that's all I can do.
But just as I can't really help you with your fear, you can't help people with theirs. They aren't afraid of you, I think, they are afraid of the unknown that lays behind your powers but eventually that will fade. The thing is, you can't control their fear, only your own." She says and I look at her soft, calming eyes and let her words sink in.

She's not wrong, I can't really do anything to help people with their fear except for not making it worse.
They are even more clueless about my powers and its origin than I am, so I understand that it can be seen as scary and maybe I have to accept that for now. And she is right, I can only control my own fear and make sure, it doesn't control me.

"But I hope you know, that I am not afraid of you, not a single bit." She tells me, her eyes full of honesty and it makes my heart feel a little lighter.

I never realized that I worried about this too but hearing her say this, makes me feel better. I would never want her to be scared of me or what I can do because I would never hurt her, I love her and I will do everything to protect her.

"I know." I reply and she smiles a little at me.

"Anything else going on in your mind?" She asks and I think about it but there's nothing else that's bothering me.
So, I shake my head and let the little red ball between my fingers go out, taking her hand in mine.

"Thank you for caring about me and being there for me." I say and she smiles, squeezing my hand a little.

"I will always care about you and of course. You are also always there for me, so." She replies and I can't help it but to return her smile.

I really, truly love her and I never want us to end. Sure, we will fight but that's part of a relationship and I am pretty sure, we're gonna make it through those fights.

Because relationships aren't just sweet moments and love, there's also conflict but because we love each other, we will manage that, we always do.

A/n: Just a cute little chapter.

Thanks for reading and love to you all <3