Chapter Twenty-Four

It was the Monday after the date, and let's just say Sophie didn't want to wake up.

"Wake! Up! You! Stupid! Moron!" Bella screamed while jumping on top of her and attacking her with pillows.

"Get! Off! You! Dumb! Imbecile!" Sophie yelled back.

Eventually, Bella discovered that trying to get Sophie out of bed was like wrestling a verminon— except without that analogy— and just picked Sophie up.

Bella, being the strong person she is, was able to lift Sophie no problem. Sophie, being the lazy person she is, just hung there while Bella threw her in the bathroom. Sophie begrudgingly got up and washed her face, which helped her wake up from the night full of sleep she did not get.

Sophie put on a green long-sleeved crew neck that said, "Property of W.C.K.D, Subject A5," in reference to Newt from Maze Runner, and light ripped jeans. She threw her hair up into a quick messy bun then stepped out.

Bella was wearing shorts (the weirdo) with an oversized jersey, a baseball cap, mid calf socks that were striped at the top, and plain white sneakers

"Why are you wearing shorts? Did you not learn your lesson from the date?" Sophie asked.

"Yeah, I learned not to wear a dress when you don't have a jacket. That's why I have this." Bella showed her a plain black jacket she had with her.

"You're actually insa- shoot! We're gonna be late to class!" Sophie shouted then tan out of the dorm with her purse in hand.

She could hear Bella running after her and yelling "Wait up!" But she ignored her and kept running. Sophie couldn't afford to be late to psychology, it was basically her telepathy class.

She turned the corner where her and Bella usually separated and ran down a few more hallways, about halfway to class before she heard the noise.

Someone was crying. And if Sophie were right, which she always is, it sounded like Ian. Sophie rounded a few more corners towards the noise and confirmed her suspicion. Ian was leaned up against the wall, hugged his knees and crying his brains out.

"Ian?" Sophie whispered, hoping it was quiet enough for him not to hear it. But nothing goes her way, so of course his head snapped up in worry. He saw her standing there, slightly out of breath from running so much, and quickly wiped his tears and snot away while cussing. Someone obviously thought no one would be in the hallways.

"Ian." Sophie repeated. "What happened." Sophie cringed at how much pity she could hear in her own voice and quickly changed her face to genuine concern, slowly approaching him.

"I-It's nothing. I-I'm fine." He hiccuped.

Sophie slid down on the wall right next to him. "I know when someone's not okay. Tell me what's wrong. You can trust me." Sophie knew that these words never helped when someone was upset, but she hoped it would help him open up.

"I-I know. And-d I know the o-others trust you-u. B-But it's hard."

"I know. I probably know more than anyone how hard it is to trust people. But I swear on my life, Tony's life, and everyone else I care about's lives. You can tell me anything. You're my bestie's boyfriend, and my boyfriend's bestie. We can trust each other by default." Sophie joked, which fortunately made him chuckle a little.

"I-I went back home because my mom called me. My dad, he's been smoking for a while now, and I've always told him to stop but he just wouldn't. And now he finally payed the price." His eyes started to well up with tears again. Sophie felt so bad for judging him before, not knowing what was happening in his life. She wrapped her arms around him and he sunk into the hug, crying his eyes out. When he calmed down, Sophie gently rubbed his back.

"He got diagnosed with lung cancer. But my mom decided not to worry with telling me about it, thinking he would 'get better' then they could laugh about it at Christmas. It didn't get better. He got worse so my mom called me down, he died last night. They told me I should just stay home and not come back for a while, but I knew I needed to see you guys, see May. May makes everything better."

"I'm sorry for your loss. There's nothing worse than losing someone you love, especially if you feel like you could've done something about it. If there's anything I can do, I'm here. I know we've never really talked much, but maybe we can change that. If you ever need anything, just talk to me."

"Thank you. You have no idea how much this means. And umm, there is something you can do."

"What is it? I'll do anything."

"Can you ask May to come out here? I need her right now and I left my phone in my mom's car in Virginia."

"Of course." Sophie smiled as she texted May, asking her to come out to where they were. When she arrived, Sophie got up to leave. But she took one last look at Ian, who smiled a grateful smile at her, and thought he wasn't as big of a creep as he seemed.

Okay, okay, that's not what she actually thought. She thought I wish there was more I could do. But like always, she felt useless as she went to class.

A/N: not me almost forgetting to post the chapter... anyways, I hope you guys liked it! And oh my gosh, thank you guys so much for 1K views!!!!!! And we're almost to 200 votes!!!!! Please comment and vote, I'll see you in the next one, bye!

QotD: What's your favorite animal?