Chapter Thirty-Four

If Sophie would've dodged the attack a second later, she would've been impaled.

"What are you doing?" Sophie yelled as Ian charged her again.

"You deserve to die! I know what you've done! We know what you've done! You shouldn't be alive! You're a monster!"

"Ian! What the heck are you talking about! Sophie didn't do anything wrong! And where did you get a knife?!" Sophie's heart warmed at Charlie's attempt to defend her. But would he still do the same if he knew who she really was? Knew how many deaths she had caused.

"How about you ask her? We know the truth! This monster doesn't deserve to be on our planet!"

"She's your friend! She's never hurt you before!" Charlie yelled, but Sophie wasn't focused on that. She was focused on something else Ian said.

"We?"

"Yes, we."

"Th-There's more than one killer?"

"Oh look at that. You finally got one right."

"You were the one on the call. You described your own death!"

"I was just diverting the blame. If I didn't tell you how I'd kill myself, you would be suspicious."

"We trusted you!" Charlie yelled.

"And what a mistake that was. May trusted me and we killed her. Tony, Henry, and May all trusted Sophie and now they're dead. Trust doesn't accomplish anything in life. It's just something to be broken."

"That's not true!" While the two boys yelled back and forth, Sophie stood in her place and shivered. Everything was going numb, whether from the cold and falling snow or the dawning realization that one of her friends, someone she would've trusted with her life, someone she comforted, was trying to kill her. Succeeded in killing her ex, her boyfriend, and his own girlfriend.

Sophie drew her knife from the holster between her shoulder blades. She didn't trust herself to fight the killer before, she hadn't had enough practice fighting to actually go up against them. But this time, she had to fight. It was the only way to protect Charlie.

"Ian!" Sophie shouted as he started walking closer to Charlie with his knife raised. "Get away from him!" She raised her knife, taking aim.

"You seriously think you can fight me?" Ian asked at the same time Charlie asked, "When did you get a knife?!?!?!"

"I know I can fight you. I'm not scared of you." Ian backed away from Charlie and started walking towards her.

"You're right. You're not scared of me. You're scared of yourself. Scared of how many people you've hurt. How many people you've killed."

"Sophie hasn't killed anyone! You're a psycho! You killed your own girlfriend, and now you want to kill us!"

"I never said I wanted to!" Ian snapped. "I have to kill you both. We need to rid the world of monsters, and anyone who stands with them."

"Then shouldn't you be gone from the world?" Sophie asked. "You stood with me. If the people who stand with monsters need to die, then you do too."

"That's not how it works. I was pretending. The entire time. I was never a friend of any of you."

"But you loved May."

"No I didn't." The lie was clear. The way his eyes shifted and his fingers twitched. The nose flare was the big give away. He loved May, but he let her die. Something deeper was going on and Sophie was going to figure it out.

Before she could think on it anymore, Ian lunged at her once again. Sophie ducked and rolled out of the way. Ian quickly pivoted and leaped on top of where she was laying on the ground until she popped her feet up. They hit him in the stomach and threw him over her. He hit the ground with a thud as Sophie jumped up and got ready to fight.

Ian jumped up and got into a fighting stance. Him and Sophie circled each other until he charged. Sophie ducked and punched him where the sun doesn't shine. He doubled over in pain and gasped for air. If Sophie wasn't mistaken, he squeaked. She took her chance and drove the knife into the back of Ian's knee. He screamed and started to fall, grabbing Sophie's hair and pulling as he fell. She yelped and landed next to him but quickly caught her bearings. In one swift motion she connected the hilt of the blade to Ian's head, knocking him out cold.

Charlie rushed over to help her up as she stabbed Ian's knife into the back of his calf and pulled it out.

"Here, to defend yourself." Sophie told Charlie as she handed him the dagger.

"Thanks... where'd you learn to fight like that?" Oops. Well, shoot. What was she going to say to him?

"My, uh, Uncle Sandor used to be military, plus he's extremely protective. He taught me a bunch of fighting techniques and self defense skills."

"Oh, alright. We should probably go."

"Yeah." Sophie looked at Ian's body. Sleeping body. He looked so peaceful, so not murderous or insane. She preferred that side of him. The nice side. The side she had comforted after his father's death. Whatever happened to him, whoever convinced him to do this, they were going down.

Charlie started running towards the street but Sophie pulled him in a different direction.

"Where are we going? Shouldn't we go to the police station?" Charlie questioned.

"We can't go anywhere. These killers are after me, I can't endanger any more people. I shouldn't have even brought you into this. But I already have so we're going to the cafeteria. We're going to try and hideout until day or face then off in an epic battle."

"Like Star Wars?"

"Like Star Wars." Sophie smiled at Charlie's inner child. They reached the cafeteria and broke in. What? Keefe taught her how to pick locks. They locked all the doors and windows then went to sit down.

"Do you think the killers will find us?" Charlie asked.

"I wish I could give you a clear answer, but I really don't know."

"I hope they won't."

"Me to-" Sophie cut herself off as she noticed something wrong with the room. She couldn't tell what it was until she payed attention to the small details.

The shadows reaching up the walls in dark hands. Reaching out towards the two at a snails pace. Something only a shade could do.

A/N: Ooh, shadows moving on the walls... what could that be? Anyways, thank you guys so much for reading, I love you all! Please comment and vote and I'll see you later! Bye!

-V

QotD: If you could live anywhere, where would it be?