26.

The next two days passed in a blur of anger and deep resentment and I'd pretty much gone through it on autopilot

What did I honestly expect from a man like that?

It was my fault for letting it happen. Tristan had used and humiliated me in the worst way and after crying for the next hour, I showered, washing away the sin that was him. Everything stopped there, no more hoping, no more being delusional and expecting something different.

Tristan and I didn't see or talk to each other and the only time we did see was on the private jet back home where he also ignored my existence like he wasn't railing into me two nights ago. It was fine. I didn't care and I chose to forget every memory of that night because he'd hurt my ego so bad at this point I wanted nothing to do with him.

On the bright side, he kept to his end of the bargain and wired me the money he promised. It was enough to keep me elated for a while; knowing my family would get the treatment they deserved even if I suffered internally for it.

Fast forward two days later and I was in the hospital, sitting across from Grandpa Bernard as he looked through the Photoshop honeymoon pictures of Tristan and me.

"They are so beautiful, Sienna." He acknowledged for the tenth time with a smile so wide I feared his cheeks would tear. "Look at how relaxed he looks." He was rubbing his thumb over the photo, smiling fondly at it. My stomach revolted. I really hated lying to this man. "I can't remember the last time he willingly took a photo. So beautiful." His smile waned a little. "If only Madeline and Arthur were alive to see this."

Madeline?

My eyes spiked and for some odd reason, the hairs at the back of my neck stood. Why did her name give me goosebumps?

"Who is she?" I asked, running my hand over my arm to soothe my chills.

He looked up from the photo. "She was my daughter-in-law. Poor soul." He shook his head. "They used to be so close, she would've loved to witness this. I haven't seen a mother who loved her son as she did."

Madeline... That was the name he'd called in his nightmare; the one he was asking so desperately to get away from him. There was no way she could be the one tormenting her son. What kind of a mother would do that to her son? I mentally shook my head. I could be mistaken. This wasn't even my problem, that inconsiderate dickhead did not deserve my sympathy for even a second.

"So tell me, did you two make babies?"

The realization of his words made me blanch and blush at the same time. "Oh my God, Mr. Bernard."

He waved me off and set the photos on the bed. "Oh don't be a prude, I might be old but I know exactly what two young lovers do on their honeymoon. How do you think my wife and I made Arthur?"

I laughed, covering up the fact that four days ago, we were so close to making actual babies because he didn't use protection and I was too lustlost to ask about it. "You are too funny."