27.

Sinking into the plushness of my office chair, I tossed a weary arm over my eyes, attempting to fight off the wave of exhaustion that settled over me like a suffocating cloak

It was late in the evening and I was still stuck in the office with a stack of business proposals I should've finished rectifying a long time ago scattered all over my desk.

I couldn't work. It was hard to concentrate. The more I tried, the more the throbbing behind my temples intensified and threatened to combust.

Today had been strange. Maybe I needed rest. I hadn't done much of that since I returned from my supposed honeymoon.

Sienna.

In my meetings, the reflections of her though still there were quelled and less impending but as soon as I stepped into the loneness of my office, it came spiraling back, all of it.

My mind gyrated back to the moment when I first sank into that sweet cunt. I didn't want to do it, hell, I never thought the need for her would overturn my sanity, but it did. I was seduced by her challenge, and I gave in, thinking one night with her would fix my cravings but it was wrong because sleeping with her didn't cure my ache, it only heightened it.

It stirred something devious in me. It increased this very dark, very vicious longing. I couldn't stand the new surge of emotions. I loathed it. I loathed the loss of control. She had me by the balls. I couldn't let it slide, I was swamped by the need to protect my pride which was why I'd said those ugly hateful words that I never meant.

Maybe I shouldn't have gone too far.

Why did I care?

My heart was as black as the ones of those who raised me and there was no room for sympathy or remorse, but why did the look of hurt and shame in her wounded eyes make my heart palpitate?

The last few weeks flashed through my mind. She provoked my rage faster than anyone, made my heart beat in all unusual directions, made my cock hard as stone, and made my control tilt. She was changing everything and I should hate it, but deep down, I...

Fuck.

I swiped the beads of sweat forming on my forehead away. Despite the air conditioning blasting at full capacity, an inexplicable heat wrapped around me. I didn't understand. Why the hell did I feel so hot?

A growing unease settled like a stone in my gut. Fingers fumbling, I pulled off my tie, seeking relief, but the cool air offered only a transient reprieve as the discomfort persisted.

My chain of thought cut off and disappeared when the office phone started to ring.

Accepting the distraction, I picked up and answered. "Yes, Joshua."

His voice came through. "Mr. Larsen, there's a lady here at the reception wanting to see you."

I glanced at my Rolex and frowned. "Who is she?"