Chapter 12: Fresh Start

"Well," I suppressed a burp as Bucky and I stepped out of the restaurant. The man's face wore a relax expression, and to be fair, he did look a bit healthier compared to when I first met him in the shopping mall. "My place is just down the block. Do you want to come chill? I'm going to make coffee." I smiled delinquently at him. In return, a wan hint of a chuckle was sounded from Bucky.

We proceed to head in the direction of my flat. There were seldom exchange of words, for we were both content and comfortable.

Pausing slightly, I noticed store by the side that sold tops and trousers. "Bucky?" I called, my eyes taking in the products that were on display. "Wait here, okay?"

Without waiting for a response, I entered the store and checked out the male section. It didn't surprise me when Bucky appeared behind me. "What are you doing?" His deep voice rose in confusion.

Rolling my eyes, I held out a top and put it against him, "Of course, you wouldn't listen and stay outside. But hey, do you like this?"

Bucky looked more bewildered than ever. Seriously, did anything surprise this man anymore? "You're buying this for me? You can't do that. I can't accept it."

"I will do whatever I like," I smiled in spite of the shirt and picked a few more items before going to the counter. I pulled out Stark's special debt card that he gave me a while ago and paid for Bucky's new gifts.

He stared at me when I pushed the bag towards him. "Happy Monday," I sing songed and tried to unclasp his metal fingers so I could slip the bag in his hand. I'd hate to admit it, but I did feel like I was making use of all my opportunities to touch his metal hand. And I did think Bucky noticed it too.

"Thanks," Bucky whispered to himself and lifted the bag to examine the clothes inside. "That's very kind of you, ma'am."

I frowned and huffed. "Man, you even sound like Steve."

And that did it. All the good efforts of making Bucky chill were gone. He scowled in thoughts, his hand dropped. "Steve?" He repeated carefully, chewing the word over in his head.

I gulped and led the way again. He followed suit slowly while I mentally punched myself in the face. "Bucky, don't worry. We will come up with something to help with your situation, okay?"

Once we were back in my flat, I showed Bucky the bathroom. "The clothes are here. If you want a shower, you're more than welcome." I flashed him a smile, and as usual, his gaze lingered on my face for a brief heartbeat before he disappeared into the bathroom.

I sighed in content and headed back into the living room. An hour ago I might have felt as puzzled as ever about Bucky, but right now I knew that he was a decent man, and I would help him because he was abandoned and an odd one out.

Like me.

The room was softly lit with the sunlight outside. It was a nice day, and the pale curtains drifted slightly as faint breezes entered the opened balcony glass doors. I hummed lightly and walked over to the open kitchen area, where I began to busy myself with mugs and coffee beans.

My phone buzzed unexpected just as I was about to pour the fresh coffee into two mugs. Thanks to the genius Bruce and Tony, the science brothers came up with this strange devices that could put me off the radar whenever I received or dialed a number. They sort of realized I didn't want to blend my work with my private life. Steve was right. I didn't want Auntie Marie or Matron to get hurt. Exhaling lightly, I picked up the call. "Hello," I greeted and sniffed the dark energy drink in my hand. It smelled like nothing but paradise.

"Lottie?"

"Hey, Tony."

"Jarvis just told me something very interesting."

I made a face as I balanced the phone between my ear and my shoulder. Pouring the steamy coffee into one of the mugs, I wondered where this conversation was leading to.

"Would you mind explaining why you have bought a dozen of men's clothes?"

Oh.

"Well, you see," My words were stuck in chucks. The shower stopped in the background and I could hear bare feet paddling across the floor. "Tony, I like wearing men's clothes."

"Hm, why am I not very convinced?"

"Tony, why are you looking into my bills in the first place?"

"Ah, correction. It's Jarvis who found this weird and decided to tell me. Plus, Pepper wants me to remind you that boys are not very trustworthy, and that she wants you to think twice before dating anyone, if those are for your boyfriend."

My jaw dropped. Bucky picked the right timing to walk in with wet hair and the newly bought clothes on. He frowned deeply once he locked gaze with me. "Is everything alright?" He asked worriedly.

"Excuse me, who's that?" Tony asked at once, sounding slightly offended as if it was my fault not to tell him about a new boy in my life. Bucky wasn't even anyone special. I swore, out of all the Avengers, Tony and Pepper basically saw me as their love child, or baby sister.

"Tony, it's just the television," I explained and pushed a mug of coffee towards Bucky. "I need to go now, but I will call you later, yeah?"

"Lottie, do you want me to get Jarvis-"

I hung up before he even had a chance to finish. Realizing Bucky might want milk or sugar, I grabbed the jar of sugar off the cupboard and turned to him, only to see him sipping his mug of black coffee with a worried expression.

"Who's that?"

"A friend," I shrugged and nodded at his drink, "You drink that all black?"

He stopped and threw a glance down at his mug, "I don't think much about it. It's better than what they gave me back at Hydra."

Frowning, I shook my head to steer clear of the anger that I had mustered whenever Bucky talked about Hydra. "So," I cleared my throat and place two spoon of sugar into my coffee, "About the plan of helping you. What should I do?"

Bucky, still smelling like my shampoo and shower gel, was about to answer me just when there was a knock at the front door.

—————-

Another cliff hanger here;) How are you liking the story so far? Comment below or vote if you really enjoy the story, it would mean the world to me! xx

-Rivers