Chapter 26: The Voice

Charlotte

The air was suffocating around me. I gazed around, horrified to see that I was in midair, hovering above nothing. The sick fogs pulsed like it was alive. I swallowed and tried moving my limps. They remained unmoved, and I continued to float in the void.

Then, as if my head had finally taken in the situation, my heart began to pick up its pace in my chest. I parted my lips but nothing came out. Was I imagining all these? Had I finally lost it-

Hello.

It was the same voice from when I had my breakdown in Shield. But when I peered around, there was nobody. My whole body felt like it was made of glass, and I felt out of control and out of my mind.

You must be wondering who I am.

Around me, darkness awaited. Braving myself, I managed to speak up again, "Where am I?" The echo of my voice followed. Was Steve safe? Did Shield rescue us from our failing mission?

It was all my fault. I should have been more careful. Steve was hurt because of me, and Shield had their mission blown because of me too-

Stop blaming yourself, child. Your operation is meant to fail.

Flinching, my chest felt tighter in nerves. "Where do you mean?" The thought that the voice could read my mind was more than terrifying, and the fact that I couldn't find the source of the voice was worse.

You should have known, Lottie.

I stared into the empty space before me. A roll of fog rolled over and extended towards my hands. I watched with widened eyes, fear built in my chest as I tried my hardest to move my limps. "Who are you?" I asked into the emptiness.

The voice was loud and mesmerizing. It had a rich and dark element in it that sent shivers down my spine. It sounded ancient and sheer evil-

I am your mind, foolish girl, the expensive operation that the moron has told you about.

My jaw dropped. I peeked around me, awed of the technology that Hydra had achieved.

Yes, Hydra has been preparing for this sole moment. Frankly, it wasn't meant for you. The Winter Soldier was our original target.

Trembling, I attempted to conceal my terror. I recalled my shameful outburst during my last mission with Steve. It was embarrassing, and I thought a small part of me was gone with the experience too.

A higher power in Hydra decided that he wanted a little more fun. We have analysed your profile. You are a capable candid of completing our plan.

"I'm not doing anything for anyone," I declared hoarsely. My throat was closing up. In the back of my head, I could hear the voice cackle.

Tell that to Nick Fury. Tell that to your dear friends in Shield.

I held back the tears that had been welling up in my eyes. The voice continued.

You're scared because you know, Lottie, you're betrayed and used. You're too broken to be mended, which  makes you so very valuable to Hydra.

"Shut up," I whispered. The side of my waist and my arm began to ache. In distance, somehow I could hear a regular beeping noise.

You're just a puppet hanging on Hydra's strings. You and I aren't so different at all.

"That's not true," I remarked with slight confidence. If anything, I was certain that I was not like this damned bastard that was talking to me.

The fog in front of me turned and swirled. To my horror, a familiar chuckle rang among the darkness. Something had changed. The fog unfolded before me, and a cry left my lips. What was left of my confidence within me had turned to dust. I stared at the girl before me. The girl that was wearing my face. Her eyes were ruby red, like the devil, and she lifted the corner of her lips as she drifted towards me.

See? We're not so different at all.

Bucky

She wouldn't stop screaming, not even when I tried to keep her still in my arms. Charlotte's eyes were wide with fear, blank with terror as she looked past me. I tried to hold onto her, wrapping my arms around her struggling body and muttered things in Russian that were meant to be comfort. I didn't even notice I was doing it, until Natasha told me we should leave.

Steve was in a horrible shape. His face was bloody and bruised, almost like last time when I beat the hell out of him-

I shook my head and glanced down in my arms. Charlotte's face was covered in cuts and blood, her left eyes was swollen and her cheeks were red. Her eyes, they were burning red. I gulped, feeling slightly uneasy in her gaze.

As I straightened up with Charlotte in my arms, I felt something sticky tickling down her side.

"Shit," I swore and turned to Natasha, who was directing people around to clear off the basement. "She's losing blood!"

Charlotte's face was growing paler by seconds. Something stirred and tore in my chest. It was a feeling that I hadn't experienced for a long time: the bittersweet of a heartache for someone that I cared.

I was out of breath, despite the fact that I had barely moved at all. "Everything will be fine," I murmured helplessly to Charlotte, who only kicked and screamed more. A few sobs choked her here and there. y voice was coated with thick Russian accent as I attempted to calm her down. It was my nervous habit, I realized. In my arms, Charlotte struggled and drowned in her untold misery.

Nothing was working. Nothing at all.

————————————————————————————————————————————

Alright, something's going down as you can probably tell:) I'm really sorry but I think I may be changing the story format a bit. I'm having way too much fun writing Bucky's point of view:) And for the sake of the story plot, I will have to start writing Charlotte's and Bucky's point of view. Anyway, comment below to let me know what you think of the story so far:) And please vote!