Chapter 29: Matron

Matron

I had no idea what Charlotte was thinking. The moment I saw her face on the news, I dropped everything at work and nearly sprinted to the parking lot to get my car. I remembered the hospital that the news host had mentioned. My knuckles were white on the steering wheel as I waited for another car to move out of the damn way.

Ever since I had known Charlotte when her mother had left her, she was always the reserved and quiet one. She didn't like to go out and so when it was Friday nights, she was always at home when I was out with friends. After a while, I felt bad about it and Friday nights had become our movie nights.

The idea of Charlotte was moving out of our apartment was bizarre, and her reason was beyond me. But I trusted her judgment.Yet now she was appearing on the news at the crack of dawn.

To be exact, the camera was zooming into the building that was engulfed in fire. The police had isolated the location. The fire kept burning, and I was shocked to see that there were no firemen around it. None of my coworkers seemed to find this strange. But it just looked like they wanted to keep the fire burning, as if they wanted to destroy the building subtly.

Then I saw her. My best friend among the police. She was being carried onto an ambulance as a casualty from the incident, and the rest was unknown to me. I stared for a friction of second, then I sprung into actions.

I knew something was off. Something didn't feel right.

It took me half an hour to get to the hospital. The lobby was busy, though I still managed to push my way through to the reception. "Charlotte Black," I started hurriedly, my heart was kicking away in my chest. If anything happened to her, my mum was so going to skin me alive. She would never forgive for letting Charlotte move out of our shared apartment. She didn't even know about it yet. "I'm her relative."

The receptionist scanned through the details on her screen before looking up at me with a dubious expression. I stared at her sternly. "She's on floor thirteen but-"

I left the counter without waiting for her to finish her sentence. I shove myself into the half full elevator and punched the button for floor thirteen. The lady next to me arched a disapproving eyebrow. I resisted the urge to glare at her and bounced on the ball of my heels until the elevator reached my floor.

I picked up my pace as I turned the corner. Air felt short in my chest as I felt the distance closing between my best friend and myself. Please let her be alright.

Then I bumped into someone. I scowled and glanced up at the man, who merely glared down at me with a cold expression.

His aura radiated danger and murderous air. I gulped but stayed my ground. My body was tensing in response. "Watch where you're going," I hissed. I felt strangely brave for speaking against this man.

His dark hair was tied back in a small ponytail, his jaw was set and his eyes were gleaming like the killer's. I narrowed my eyes at him when he didn't speak up. Another man caught up with him and placed a hand on his arm as he glanced over. "Hey, Barnes. Charlotte's room is that way," The new comer reminded the man in front of me. I frowned and glared at the men.

"You know Charlotte?" I questioned them, causing the two very well built men to halt and look at me. Thankfully, the man before me no longer looked like he wanted to kill me. He ceased his brows in confusion as the other man approached me. He glanced at me.

"Who are you?"

Taken back, I took a step towards him in fury. The man widened his eyes in astonishment and moved back slightly. "Who am I? I'm her cousin. Who are you? How do you know her?"