Chapter 23: Steve?

The floor was still in the dim light from the city. I slowly surveyed my surroundings and carried out Fury's tasks for me. My heart was restless in my chest.

The first man that I encountered was merely a security guard on duty. There wasn't much of a fight. He was untrained and chubby, it didn't take me much effort to put him in a headlock. His limps kicked and struggled but I stayed put. A few seconds later, he passed out.

I slid his body to the ground, his heavy weight growing on me. I muttered in my earpiece between pants, "I've just taken down a security guard."

Steve's voice came through immediately, "We better hurry before anyone noticed."

"Roger that," I replied and picked up my pace. When I thought nothing worse could go wrong, the alarm rang. "Shit," I cursed and raced away from the blasting sirens. "Steve, do you hear this?"

Two men just chose the right time to turn the corner. Their eyes locked on me, and their grips tightened on their revolvers. Eagle shimmered on my finger, and it slowly faded into a pair of bronze daggers.

Without thinking twice, I threw a dagger at one of the man. It stabbed into his arm and the man fell with a grunt. The other man scowled and shot fire. Gaping, I ducked and felt the atmosphere thickened with my power.

"You shouldn't have come," The man spat as he took another step closer, leveling his revolver on me. "They have been waiting for you."

Shocked, I narrowly missed another bullet as I advanced him. My dagger slashed his arm. Trying once more, I dug the tip of my dagger into his stomach.

The man cried out in pain and I swung my arm back. "Shut up," I growled and smacked him right across his cheek. He fell back and remained still.

Out of nowhere, a hot white pain exploded in my side along with a gun shot. My gasp echoed in my ear as I stumbled forwards. Thick wetness damped my side. Behind me, someone laughed breathlessly. I snapped around to see the first man struggling on the floor, his revolver was steady in his hand.

"You're not as good as they have said you would be," His lips curved into a snarl. The side of my body ached with effort as he snickered.

"Charlotte," Steve's voice rang in my earpiece once more. "We have ten minutes at most."

There was fighting in his background. Glaring at the man on the floor, I took two quick steps towards him and put an end to his life before he could put another bullet in me.

I panted as the pain grew in my side. "I will do a run down on my floor," I reported and began to jog down the corridor.

"Find anything useful," Steve's voice arrived again. This time, he sounded tired, "tell me."

"You got it," I remarked and ended the conversation. My side burnt with pain and loss of blood. Gaping for breath, I dropped on my knees and held onto the bullet wound. I needed a pressure on my wound.

"Charlotte," Fury's voice spoke up this time. His voice was taut and controlling. "There's a safe room on your floor. Go in there and get whatever you can find."

A couple of footsteps appeared down the corner. I gathered myself from the floor and transformed Eagle into a sword. "Yes, sir," I answered and swung the sword in my hand as a couple of men spotted me further down the corridor. The first man was stupid enough to try to approach me without using his gun. I slashed the sword across his chest. Blood spilled and stained my uniform. The scent of iron and copper filled the air as the few tried to gun me down.

I deflected a few bullets with my sword and blocked some of them off with packed air particles. Yet it wasn't enough. The men simply poured into the corridor, the alarm shrieked in the background.

Swearing under my breath, I escaped into a room by my side. Locking the door behind me, I gazed around and I could not believe my luck. "I'm in the safe room," I said in disbelief.

"Get the damn thing and go," Fury ordered. "There's not much time left!"

I stumbled forwards as my side screamed internally in pain. I picked up whatever was in my reach and flipped it open.

Biological Weapon Number 225

The door threatened to be kicked down behind me, but that was just before someone began shooting at the door. I jumped and scanned the first few paragraphs.

Caution: Light headed, low blood pressure, illustration, death

Ability: Total control over subject.

The door fell with a loud bang. I spun around to strike, but the loud gun shot beat me to it. A sharp pain pierced my thigh, and one through my arm. My lungs squeezed tight at the impact and I dropped to the floor.

My vision began to blurry into redness when a man approached me. In my midst mind, I could see the white of his teeth as he smiled.

"Get her," He commended quietly. I bared my teeth and attempted to swing my sword, but the agony from my limps overwhelmed me.

A couple of man stepped forwards and threw something at me. I felt the coldness of the metal when the strange objects closed around my wrists.

"Steve?" I whispered, suddenly felt the drain of my strength. My vision was seeping with darkness, the metals around my wrists remained cool. I stared down at it blindingly as I felt my power being sucked dry.

"Steve," I tried once more, my voice faltering as I did so. A rough finger lifted my chin up, and I was forced to look into the stranger's face.

"Darling, how about just taking a rest?" Before I could say anything else, I watched him draw back his fist.

Then everything went black.

—————————————————————————————————————————————

I might try doing something different next chapter:) Please vote and support the story!

-Rivers