Chapter 36: New War And New Age

Charlotte

If it wasn't for Bucky, I would have run away from Tony's car. He held me taut, tight enough to make me feel alive and on earth, but not suffocating to squeeze all the oxygen out of my brain.

I sneaked my arms around his neck. After all that had happened, I didn't care if people were going to judge me for being so clingy around Bucky. Hell, I had close calls with death. So did he. I'd think there were plenty of reasons for us to treasure what we had right now. 

I buried my face in his chest since I wasn't tall enough. He still smelled of aftershave, though the scent had faded quite a bit. "I don't understand why she's appeared out of nowhere, with no warning at all," I muttered and was comforted by Bucky's touch on the back of my hair.

I didn't need to read his expression. His tensed body posture told me he didn't know too, and he didn't like it.

Half an hour later, we arrived at Shield. We were called to the conference room once more and Agent Hill approached me directly. Her lips were sealed and her brows were knitted.

"She demands to see you," Agent Hills growled. She clearly didn't like my mother's request. Bucky's hand had never left mine since the car ride. He ran his thumb along the edge of my knuckles, something that he would do when he was nervous. 

"I don't think it's a good idea," Bucky remarked at once, his voice was low and dangerous. Agent Hill crossed her arms in frustrated manner and glared at Bucky. 

"Not my call, agent," She paused and glanced behind us, a frown masking her face. "Who's this?"

She was directing it at Matron. Jumping slightly, Matron made a big show of looking behind her before realizing she was the one being addressed. "What?" Matron threw her hands up in exasperation, her blue hair was wild in a loose ponytail. "We have met at Tony's place!"

Steve, who was standing next to her, peered down at her in amusement. Natasha's lips curved as she observed Matron with interest. Tony and Bruce had disappeared into their lab the moment we entered the block.

Before Agent Hill could word again, I chimed in, my heart kicking away in my chest, "I want to see her, too." Everybody's gaze fell upon me, and I felt my cheeks burn. "I need to know." 

It didn't take two for anyone to understand. A daughter who had been abandoned by her mother for years, had every right to ask, to seek the answer. So, nodding gravely, Agent Hill led the way and I had to leave Bucky once again.

The moment I slipped my hand away from Bucky's, my body felt like a deflated balloon. Yet I braved myself and marched on. It was kind of fretful to think that Bucky and I shared this special bond, where we could only be strong with each other by our sides.

The room that Agent Hill had led me to was simple and plain, but I believed there was technology more advanced than MIT's researches guarding the walls. In spite of my increasing heart rate, my eyes turned red, and if my mother was surprised, she didn't show it. 

She was just as I had remembered her in my memory. Her hair was sleek black, her cheekbones cutting and her skin pale. A cold smile lingered on her lips and her gaze, they were nothing like mine. Her eyes were brown and glinted deeply, like the depth of her eyes would reach far back enough to her brain. 

My hair seemed to ignite on my shoulders. Seeing my mother made me conscious the fact that I shared my mother's hair, and my father's blue eyes. "Charlotte," She called out softly, just as Agent Hill closed the door behind me.

I shivered at her voice. She didn't change, and that was terrifying to me. People changed over time. If they didn't, there was something seriously wrong. The two of us stayed still for a heartbeat. What could I say to my own mother who had decided to leave me behind without saying another word?