Chapter 2: Betrayed and Used

I woke up to blinding lights. Then, after a few hasty blinks, the glows were gone. What did remain were four towering white walls that made a massive room. Pushing myself up from the floor that felt like marble but didn't look like so, I gazed about uncertainly. My head was still at a delirious state. The air smelled of nothing. The room contained nothing and I could hear, nothing.

It was so quiet that to a point I began to wonder if I had lost my hearing as well. That set off a chaos of panics in my chest. The feeling of helplessness echoed through my body, nestling at my stomach and forming a knot.

Why was I here?

I shut my eyes and sucked in a deep breath. Memories rushed back and hit me like someone had shot me with arrows.

Shooting me with arrows.

I snapped my eyelids open and twisted my head towards my arm, my eyes instantly falling onto my bandaged forearm.

So it was real.

I began to feel restless once again. I had to figure out a way to escape, then find Matron and try to pretend none of these had happened. And also, to live off the grid and make sure they couldn't find me again.

As if it was as easy as that. I was alone and I was only armed with Eagle. The possibilities to escape sounded as cheerful as Matron's morning greetings.

My knees were shaking by the time I had finally found my footing. It was then I realized how weak and tired I was, even after I had passed out for God knew how long. A fight would definitely be something that I wanted to avoid.

A light buzz behind me caught my attention. I spun around and felt momentarily dizzy at once. My vision was like an untuned television. I fluttered my eyelids closed briefly and opened them again. The fog of darkening stars fell away.

A glowing, rectangular screen floated just few feet ahead. I wasn't so sure what to think of. There was no energy left in me to make a face at the strange sight. No hash remark seemed to be available at the time. Anyway, smart remarks weren't suitable when there was only yourself to entertain.

The screen flickered to life. A man with an eye patch was positioned within the limited space. His face was tight with a scowl, which led me to think he had never smiled for once in his life. That didn't earn him any point for his first impression.

"We have been expecting you, Miss Charlotte Black," The man had said.

My thoughts were all over the place. I couldn't find the strength to focus them. It was like trying to grab a handful of water by balling a fist under the water surface. I was suffocating, I was failing.

"And are you listening, Miss Black?" He asked, his eyes showing judgement and nothing more.

I frowned and stared. His eye patch was making him look really evil. The expression that he was wearing didn't help much. The man looked like he had just popped up straight from a fairy tale book.

He sighed. I guessed it was because the blank look in my eyes kind of answered his question. Yes I was listening. No I wasn't trying the slightest to focus on my thoughts. In exasperation, he continued, "I'm Nick Fury, director of SHIELD."

So he was the Director Fury that Captain America had been mentioning.

Seeing my unresponsive reply of emotionless expression, the Director opted to move on. "SHIELD, in case you are wondering, is a secret organisation that aims to protect people on Earth from any kind of attack or harm."

That caught my attention. My eyes found a fixing point on him and concentrated. The director nodded approvingly, which kind of annoyed me because I didn't want his approval. He technically kidnapped me. Matron would have finally noticed I wasn't with her. Hopefully. But what else could she do then? This man looked like he had the technology in the whole damn world. And most terrifyingly, he seemed to know a lot about me.