Chapter 14: Exposed

The sensation of free falling smoothed me. I felt a small gasp released from my mouth as my reddened sight took in the windows whipping past me. The corner of my lips lifted faintly and I splayed out my fingers to feel the air better.

I was losing myself.

It was Bucky's voice that snapped me back to reality. "NO!" His furious cry echoed in my head, somehow, shaking the nerves in me. My limps tensed as I felt the need to regain control once more.

Tightening the not in my stomach, I willed the air particles to push me upwards. Disappointment arose in me as I realized I was giving up on myself in that instant.

A wave of fury seeped through me, pulsing in my veins as I gained height. Damn those idiots who had forced me unto this situation. Unconsciously, I bared my teeth as I was at level with my flat. Bucky gawked but I was oblivious. I landed with a thud and headed towards the paled man with Eagle as a sword form in my hand. Twirling it in my right hand, I slashed it right across his head. The human head fell, dropped onto the floor with a nasty noise as the rest of the body fell too. Blood spilled but I paid no notice, for I was too lost in myself.

I continued to stab and slay. There was no limit in me. All I could see was red, red, and more red.

What else was there for me to lose?

A small part of myself yelled in my head, telling me to stop and that something was off. This isn't you, the voice said, but my will was too weak to halt my body back. I kept on attacking the limp body until Bucky grabbed my arm.

Snarling, I glared at him through my tinted vision. His tautly ceased brows were the only thing that indicated his shock and fear.

"Stop," He growled as I shove him back. He was strong and firm, but in that moment, I was invincible.

"Leave me be!" I flared, my harsh words making an impact on him. The assassin only took a minute to adjust before trying to grip me again. This time, I did not let him down.

I raised a leg and kicked him right in the stomach. He stumbled back as I advanced. My head was in a million pieces, crying for me to stop hurting this man but my body had grew a mind of its own. Frustrated tears built in my eyes as I watched myself swung my leg at Bucky. He pushed it away, apparently trying to avoid hurting me.

"Charlotte!" He gaped as I landed another blow on his waist. "This is not you!"

"To hell with it!" I spat and stepped onto his left knee with a driving force. With a painful grunt, Bucky collapsed and held onto his leg. I drew my right fist back, my brain overloading with inner struggles when Bucky decided to throw himself on me.

We flew back with his force. The pain in his knee caused him to grimace but he was not one to complain. "Charlotte," He grumbled, pinning my hands on the floor as I squirmed underneath him, fighting to free myself. "Look at me."

And I did.

His quiet gaze bored into mine. My lungs slowed as I took in his soothing blue eyes. Something in my chest clicked and somehow, my vision began to clear of the dye.

The aftershock hit me cruelly. I stopped moving and felt numb to the senses. Bucky looked relieved, but he had no idea of my shame and guilt. "Your eyes are no longer red," he muttered, loosening the grip on me. Yet, his words merely brought more tears to my eyes.

When he had finally leaned back and let go of me, I sat up and wiped the tears away from my eyes hastily. "I'm so sorry," I whispered, unable to absorb the whole incident. "I don't know what has gotten into me. I didn't mean to hurt you."

With his eyes grave but his expression soft, Bucky reached out and traced a thumb along my cheek to dry any escaped tears. "It's fine now. Don't worry about it."

I felt like a kid again. Bucky somehow had made me feel safe and secured, despite what had just happened. Exhaling shakily, I dared not to move just so his touch could linger longer. "Okay."

He smiled weakly and dropped his hand. Disappointment filled my chest but I masked it with a blank expression. Bucky surveyed my flat and I followed his gaze to take in the ruins. "Tony's going to kill me," I mumbled. Catching the frown on Bucky's face, I explained hurriedly, "as in he's going to get annoyed, you know."

In distance, sirens could be heard from the street. My heart sank as I realized what a mess I had created. Hopefully Director Fury could take care of it.  "Your phone," Bucky reminded me, gesturing a buzzing source among the bodies. How could I not have picked that up?

I scrambled over and fiddled with the buttons. Bruce's panicked voice boomed from the other end, "Holy moly, Lottie are you okay?"

"I'm fine now," I replied, glancing around my beaten up flat anxiously.

"Well, your phone just automatically alerted Stark Tower about your safety. Pepper freaked out and called Tony. He was working with me at Shield just now but he's just left for you."

Shit. "I'm fine now, Bruce. I promise. What was Tony like when he left?" I thought it'd be better for me to prepare mentally since I had literally crushed my flat and was attempting to hide Bucky.

"His language was rather colourful," Bruce's dismay and exhaustion could be heard from his words. "Steve had to be held back just so he wouldn't go with Tony. Directory Fury needed him at the base for the being."

I couldn't feel much worse. "I'm so sorry about this," I rubbed my face tiredly. Bruce's voice was interrupted when someone snatched the phone out of his hand.

"Lottie."

I sighed, "Steve."

Besides me, Bucky tensed up. I raised a question eyebrow at him but he merely stared. Steve exhaled loudly from his end of the phone, "Thank god."

Before I could say anything else, a familiar engine roaring noise sounded from outside my bedroom. Pushing the phone to Bucky without thinking, I got off the floor and leaned out of the shattered window.

Oh no.

Mark 43 shot up and leveled by my bedroom. I peered in horror as Tony's voice blared through the suit, "I wanted to use the door but Jarvis said there would be no point. So I decided to use this grand entrance." His mask pulled back to revel his face.

Tony's eyes lit up when he saw that I was safe and sound, then his jaw dropped when he saw who was standing close behind me. "Hm," For once, Tony seemed uneasy with the scene, "A boyfriend, huh?"

I flushed in embarrassment and behind me, Bucky returned his attention to the phone in his hand, from which Steve's voice was still sounding from his end.

"Hello? Is anyone there?"

-----------------------------------------------

I just realized my chapters are quite long. Do you guys want me to shorten them or just leave the chapters at their present lengths? Please don't forget to vote if you like the story:)

-Rivers