Epilogue

Bucky

The air was thick with humidity, and the sun was hanging brightly above head. I sat still on the bench, listening to the children playing in the park, and watching couples walked their dogs.

There was no immediate danger around me. After all these times I had learnt to relax, in Matron's words: To chill my tits. 

I shook my head with a wan smile playing at my lips. Matron was one special character. Before me, a child shrieked with laughter and ran towards me, patting my legs and grinning up at me. I froze, unsure what to do. The child's parents were no where in sight, and the child, with her pony tails wiggling as she bounced on her heels, held onto my legs.

Rusty with my social skills, I reached out to pat her head awkwardly, my movements as stiff as a car engine that needed oiling. "Hello," I greeted formally. Just then, a panicked mother began to hurry towards us. She smiled apologetically before pausing in her place, her eyes taking in the bruises and cuts on my face.

Without another word, she led the child away from me, who struggled and attempted to grab me. I watched, something prickled my chest. Slowly, I ran a hand over my face, feeling the bumps and scars, those of which Charlotte had left me.

The sun was warm, and I had goosebumps on my arm as I replayed that night, when it all ended. 

Her steps were unstable, yet she pushed herself forwards. I wanted to help so badly, but I couldn't even move an inch. I had never felt so helpless. 

The war continued around us, and I was in no condition to help her. I watched as she drove her dagger into Dr. Metacliff. Then, just like how I had imagined myself falling in love with her, Charlotte fell over the edge. 

Abreath was stuck in my chest. I wanted to scream her name, taste her presence. I wanted cry out for her, to bring her back. I wanted her to use her strength, to fly back up onto the rooftop again. 

I fell out of Steve's grip and it didn't take me too long to fall on my four again. But I stared ahead, as if the crowd around me didn't matter. 

She never reappeared. She was too weak in the last moment. The sensible part of my mind told me she couldn't have used her power. 

Then, above ahead, the sky burst with thunder and lights. The night sky seemed to have ripped open, revealing more stars and universe. Still, I stared ahead. She never reappeared over the edge.

A woman who held a screaming baby in her arm talked to her fellow company. I peered at them out of the corner of my eyes, catching a few words that they were saying.

"...National security is at risk...Can you believe it?"

Heaving a sigh, I closed my eyes in exhaustion. After that night, everything changed. Natasha had managed to secure the list of targets that Hydra was after, and under Nick Fury's order, she had disappeared with it. Apparently, she had gone to start a new life. Her mission was yet one of the most dangerous one that we had been assigned to. Tony had returned to Stark Tower and had resumed to his previous job, inviting Dr. Banner along with him. The two men were working happily away in the secret labs at Stark Tower. 

Clint, like Nick, had disappeared under a new name too. To the public eye, under public pressure, the Avengers were to dispose due to National Security reasons. But of course, when the time came, when our people needed our help, we would reappear like magic and put ourselves into danger for them.

Steve and Tony were the only ones who didn't have to change their names, of course. They were too well-known. Their faces were everywhere, which I didn't envy. I had to change my name to hide my identity, and to my annoyance, Matron had proposed the name, Timmy Smith, and somehow, Nick Fury had agreed to it. When I finally had the time to object, he said it was too late. The documents were done, and he ended the discussion with the slightest hint of a smirk. 

The left pocket in my jeans vibrated with my phone. I ran a hand through my short hair and pulled out my phone. Steve's name was flickering on the screen.

"Bucky- I mean, Timmy," The man on the other end of the phone coughed awkwardly, both to hide his embarrassment and laughter.

"What?" I snapped furiously. How could I start a new life and live peacefully under this stupid name? 

The previous humour in Steve's voice was gone. His words turned serious, and my senses tensed. "I have already informed the others. After all these changes, everybody needs a good news once in a while..."

I held my breath as my best friend continued, "Thor is on his way, too. He's really worried. But he should know that we are more than thankful for his appearance during that night."

It was true. I couldn't thank him enough for that night. No one had expected him to show up. We all thought he was too far away and occupied in his own world. But he showed up in the very last and important moment to give us a hand, which was why I could never repay his debts. I would have lost her if it wasn't for him...

"But yeah, pal. She's awake. Come to the hospital quick."

That was all I needed. I hung up the phone quietly and stood. My eyes were set hard on the path before me. I walked with hope and my chest kicked with joy. I could no longer contain myself. After all that had happened, I was finally able to keep my promise to Charlotte, to protect her and give her a happy ever after.

Nothing mattered anymore. She was awake. I was saved. 

We survived.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh my god I have finally finished Soldiers! I love this story so so much! Please don't forget to vote if you have enjoyed the ride too:) And comment to tell me what you think! For those who want to know more about Charlotte and Bucky, don't worry, they are going to take huge part in Matron's upcoming story, which is about her own adventure at Stark's Tower and her secret identity-The Spider Girl. Yup you have heard me right. Matron is the female version of Spider Man, and that is the secret that she's been hiding from Charlotte:) Anyway, stay tune!

-Rivers