Chapter 27:Serum

"You need a break," Natasha stated.

I sat in my seat, which was just by the hospital bed that Charlotte was lying in. Her face was still bruised but the swollen area had only faded ever so slightly. I was unmoved, my eyes strained on Charlotte's numb hand.

Besides me, Natasha sighed at my stubbornness. Why would she bother? If she was annoyed by me, she could damn well just leave me be.

"She's not going to be up for quite a while, Barnes. Why don't you join Clint and I in the corridor. He's gotten some coffee for us."

The sky was turning lighter outside, and the street grew bustling gradually as time ticked by.

I needed to stay with her, I had said. Yet I didn't realize I had spoken in Russian until Natasha replied in the same language.

"Никто не собирается взять ее . Давай, Барнс."

I glanced up at the woman, who smirked knowingly at me. My surprise must have been obvious. Nodding towards the door, Natasha waited for my response. Exhaling quietly, my gaze lingered on the restrictions that they had placed around Charlotte's wrists before leaving the room with Natasha.

Clint was sitting on one of the patients' bench. The man's face hinted exhaustion, and besides him sat three paper cups of coffee on the seat. "How is she holding up?" He stood and asked the moment we stepped out of the room.

"They've given her a dose. She's only resting now," Natasha replied in a matter of fact manner and picked up two of the paper cups. She handed one to me and the other one to Clint.

"Thanks," I muttered and took a seat. We were silent, each of us occupied by private thoughts. I stared down at the black coffee in my hands, and recalled the mornings when I had made coffee for Charlotte. She liked it sweet and milky, just like how Steve used to like his, too.

I blanked out in thoughts and memories. The time that I had killed and this time I had saved. Clint and Natasha were discussing something under their breaths and I let them be, until I caught Steve's name.

Clearing my throat, the two spies turned to me in amusement, as I never volunteered to speak up unless it necessary. "Is Steve alright?"

Natasha smiled briefly and gestured in the direction that I assumed was where Steve was staying. "He's good. He's recovering rapidly because of the serum that is in him."

I still hadn't taken a sip of my coffee yet. Clint was downing his like it was water. Natasha leveled gaze with me bluntly, her bright eyes narrowed as if she was pondering if she could tell me something else.

Alas, she opened up, "We suspect there is a traitor in Shield."

Clint choked violently and made a face at his fellow worker. "Natasha, that's classified!" Clint slammed his chest with a fist in an attempt to smoother his breaths. "Fury is going to kill you," he mumbled.

I looked between them, my expression fell as a wave of rage boiled within me. Whoever had done this to my friends, they were going to pay for it. I knew if they could have given me a name, I wouldn't think twice before taking his head down.

"Barnes will want to know of this," Natasha tilted her head at me, "Am I right?"

I tightened my fist and the paper cup of coffee collapsed in my grip, spilling coffee on the floor and Clint. Flinching, Clint grunted and wiped his top hastily.

"Told you. He's too unstable to know about this. No offense, Barnes."

Crossing her arms in front of her chest, Natasha ignored her fellow spy and spoke her mind, "When Steve wakes up, we will need him to report his mission. Fury will want to hear this."

"What about Charlotte?" I asked without any hesitation. I didn't understand why I was caring so much. But right now, nothing mattered but Charlotte's safety. Clint regarded me with new interest while Natasha's face fell.

"We will take our time with her," She began reluctantly, "When we found her, she's quite a mess."

Howard Stark's son decided to turn the corridor in this very instinct. His eyes were gleaming with anger as Director Fury tailed behind him.

"I told you," He exasperated, "She's not ready yet."

"We have to test out her ability, Stark. And don't forget, we are still trying to figure out what the serum is doing to her."

"Banner and I could have done experiments on her. That's way better than sending her straight to the enemy!"

"For the last damn time, Stark, our sources reported back that the building should be cleared!"

"Then truth to be told, Fury. Your sources are quite useless. You might as well go to the Fox News."

The two men halted to a stop when they saw us. Stark particularly rolled his eyes at me before turning away. Fury simply sighed and slipped his hands into his pockets. Clint glanced between them, his brows knitted in disbelief. "The mission was a test for her? For the love of God, what has Shield become of? Charlotte is only eighteen!"

Nick Fury threw his hands up in defense. "We have to do whatever is necessary-"

His words were cut short abruptly as I pinned him against the wall by his collar. In a moment of rage, I had lost myself. Clint and Natasha were fast though. The Black Widow had gotten me in a headlock in merely a blink of a second as she pulled me back.

"Calm it, Barnes," She panted with the effort of keeping me in place. I growled and struggled in her taut grip. Clint positioned himself between me and Fury while Stark watched with disapproval.

Nick Fury, with an annoyed expression, soothed his collar and glared at me. I almost snarled at the man. Who was this man to put my friends in grave danger as if it was just a game? Did he not know who I was?

"Have some manners, Barnes," He snapped.

"Why are you doing this to her?" I hissed through gritted teeth.

Fury's glare was fixed on me. He lifted his chin and took a step closer, moving Clint out of the way as he did so.

"Well, maybe," He started, "You two should have informed me when the man from Hydra had plucked the damn syringe in her."

———————————————————————————————————————-

What Natasha had said in Russian was, "No one is going to take her away. Come on, Barnes." :)

Anyway, tell me what you think and please please please, vote:)

-Rivers