Chapter 35: And It Begins

Matron

Okay, Bucky was definitely hot. Gorgeous, even. But he still remained an asshole in my head.

I resisted the urge to whistle when Bucky was forced by Pepper to turn around so everybody in the room could see his new haircut. The embarrassment on his face was real and hilarious. To be fair, Bucky was incredibly good-looking with his short hair. Clint whistled, and I grinned at him.

"What do you all think?" Pepper asked enthusiastically. Natasha smiled smugly as she took a seat on the sofa. Ever since the clock had hit seven, Charlotte's workers had gathered on Charlotte's and Bucky's floor at Stark Tower. We were hungry children waiting to be fed on Tony's money roll.

"Hot," Clint commented, earning a death glare from Bucky. I couldn't help but beam at the embarrassed and awkward man in amusement. He caught my glance and glared daggers. I shrugged casually and from the corner of my eyes, I saw Steve chuckling and shaking his head.

Yup, you had heard me. Captain America was sharing the sofa with Clint and I. Damn, who had Charlotte been working with?

They were strong, powerful and dangerous to start with. I knew that Steve Rogers wouldn't be a threat because he was righteous and all for justice. Clint and Natasha were what I could have imagined as modern James Bond. But Bucky? He was a whole new level of mystery.

Pepper put both of her hands on Bucky's shoulders and moved him towards Charlotte. The couple flustered and flushed. I giggled in disbelief. "Lottie?" Pepper questioned gleefully.

"Looks good," Charlotte finally managed to answer. Her gaze was averted and her cheeks were reddened like her eyes. A few days ago I would have flinched when I saw her ruby eyes. But now? I was just content that my best friend was safe.

Bucky's eyes gleamed with mischief. "That's it?" He arched an eyebrow and a lopsided smile appeared on his face. Everybody was startled at his bold manner, but Clint broke the tension after a heartbeat.

"Ohhh," he hummed and clicked with his tongue. Charlotte levelled gaze with Bucky, a hidden smile was playing at her lips. Before, I could have thought I was the only one who could read Charlotte's secret expression. Now, I didn't think I was the only one who could do that. Bucky was reading my best friend like a book too.

Alas, the elevator rang and Tony arrived, rubbing his hands together with an anticipated grin. "Anybody ready for dinner?"

To be fair, I was quite surprised when Clint called me and invited me for dinner with everybody. For sure I knew I wasn't very much welcomed among Charlotte's new friends, especially her damn boyfriend. But hey, as long as my best friend was safe and happy, I would tag along for some free food. I was too broke for proper food in quite a bit anyway.

I drove my way there in my crappy red Mini Cooper. Since the main ride was full, Steve Rogers, the Captain America, volunteered to join me on my embarrassing drive. My knuckles were white on the steering wheel as I tried not to break any traffic rules in front of Captain America.

The air was thickened with silence and my discomfort. I peeked at the man, who was staring ahead on the road in thoughts. The car stunk of wet cats and boots. Damn the crazy cat lady that had sold me this crappy car at a ridiculously sweet price. I sighed and turned on my old fashion stereo. Why did I have to be so broke?

The two of us jumped when Show Me by Kid Ink blasted through the speakers. A car honked loudly behind me as I tried to steady the car and fumbled for the switch on my stereo. "Sorry," I muttered, laughing nervously when the lyrics put a frown on Captain's face. Finally, I turned the stereo off and the car was once again filled with silence.