Chapter 32: My Lottie

Bucky

Charlotte was on a date? Confusion and frustration arose within me. I knew Charlotte would never do reckless matters like such. Whoever was messing with her mind had it coming. I was already coming up with various ways of destroying them, making them to feel the burn of their death.

Yet, what if Charlotte had left me deliberately? Maybe she had figured out that she deserved better. Perhaps all along I had been lying to myself that everything would be fine, and that I could settle with someone as perfect as Charlotte.

My luck was running out, if I had any at all. But if Charlotte's date was a better person than I was, would I have let her go?

Clenching my fists, my metal arm creaked with tension as I told the rest of Avengers and Charlotte's annoying cousin that I would keep Charlotte safe no matter the cost. We would.

Matron watched me quietly and I stared back at her without trying to hide it. She didn't flinch, not even under my cold gaze. There was something different about her, I could tell.

Tony pushed himself off the sofa and started giving instructions to JARVIS. To my surprise, Pepper rose from her seat to approach me too. While the others were moving about to come up with plans, Pepper's words were low and sincere.

"She will be fine."

I nodded at her promise. The woman had to glance up to meet my eyes. She didn't seem afraid to be near me, like any ordinary people would if they were near a legendary assassin. From the corner of my eyes, I could catch Tony observing us very subtly. I ignored him as Pepper continued.

"Tony told me about you two. This is not Charlotte. She likes you a lot."

I swallowed and looked away. I couldn't withstand others telling me that I was indeed normal, or deserved something good.

"You're alright, babe?" Tony joined in smoothly and placed a kiss on Pepper's cheek. The woman chuckled softly and nodded at her boyfriend. Sneaking a hand around Pepper's waist, Tony matched my gaze to assure the both of us. It was a bit time back then when I discovered that I was the one who killed Tony's parents. Guilt hadn't escaped me since then, yet I simply couldn't bring myself to mention it, or to apologize.

Despite the obvious fact that Tony disliked me, he wore a grave expression as we exchanged wordless glance. Then, Pepper patted my arm with a smile before leaving with Tony. I looked after them, imagining Charlotte and I like that once Hydra was wiped out. Shaking my head, I stopped myself from having any further unlikely thoughts.

"Come on, big guy," Natasha said out of no where. I turned to her to see Matron lingering by her side with crossed arms. Her eyes were wide, like she was holding back tears. "We are going to get Charlotte."

So turned out our plan was to blend into the restaurant and the area, spy on Charlotte and her date to observe her behaviour. Then we would confront her date if he was suspicious. Natasha and Clint were to enter the restaurant as a couple. I was partner with Matron, and Tony would be circling the open air above in his suit in case we needed backup.

"Right, we're going in," Natasha's voice came through the ear piece. Clint laughed pleasantly. It was so convincing that I could not doubt his position in his field anymore.

"Happy anniversary," Clint cheered and placed an arm around Natasha's shoulders, who merely laughed along with him.

Matron and I stood around the corner, leaning against the wall as casually as possible. I had a baseball cap on low while Matron hummed next to me lightly. I stared after Natasha and Clint, frustration grew within my chest. "How can you be so relaxed?" I asked the girl by my side quietly, the question ending up like a snap. In the dim lights, Matron's electric blue hair was in a tall ponytail. She looked at me with annoyance, the song that she was humming halted to a stop.