Chapter 19: Torn

We sat around a table while waiting for Director Fury to get Bruce. Clint had thankfully cleaned up his face and was now bickering with Natasha. "I didn't see the shelf, okay?" Clint threw his hands up as his face turned purple.

Looked like he was about to have another nose bleed again.

Steve exchanged a few words with Bucky. "Remember on Wednesday nights, we used to go get drinks," Steve's voice was low but leaked with enthusiasm. Bucky's lips curved as his eyes grew distant in memory. Occasionally, he would peer over to check that I was doing fine.

I felt the air outside Shield thickened, a familiar tug in my stomach suggested a thunderstorm from far off. When Nick Fury and Bruce entered the room, everybody quieted down. Next to me, Natasha kicked at Clint's chair.

"Well?" Nicky Fury questioned when Bruce noticed Bucky sitting next to Steve.

"He remembers," Steve said with his voice lifted. His eyes were gleaming with joy that was difficult to conceal. Bucky watched his best friend, slightly amused by Steve's reaction.

Nick Fury nodded and glanced at Bruce. "So no triggering memory alternatives are needed, then?" He asked with a smile. Taking off his glasses, Bruce took a seat among us as Nick Fury cleared his throat, getting ready to brief us on our work ahead.

Out of nowhere, a solid tug punched at my stomach. I sucked in a mouthful of air, and when everybody glanced in my direction with a frown, I coughed to cover it up.

"Excuse me," I muttered and pushed my chair from the table. When I stood, I purposefully averted everyone's eyes. I knew if they bored into my gaze, they would know something was wrong.

The corridor was empty, and I was more than grateful about it. Another forceful jab smacked at my stomach. I stumbled and held onto a wall for support. Gasping, I managed to drag myself to the toilet. I slid the lock close and wobbled to the sink. The wicked sensation had then disappeared from my stomach.

Sneaking a hand to my stomach, I looked into the mirror in horror. A tingling feeling began to crawl along my arm. I sealed my lips shut as I resisted the strong urge to scream.

Without any warning, blood began to seep my vision.

"No," I breathed, my voice cracked as I saw my eyes growing redder and redder, until they were seemingly bathed in blood. As if a monster had grown within me, something nagged at my gut, and I realized it was a warning for an upcoming storm.

"What storm?"

I whipped around to the voice. But there was no one. My vision detected no abnormal radiation emission around me. Backing into the sink, I surveyed the room, my heart pounding away in my chest.

"Where's the storm?"

I jerked my head to the left, where I'd just heard the voice again. "Who are you?" I whispered, disgusted by my fear.

"Who are YOU?" The voice answered with my question. I set my jaw and gazed around me.

"Show yourself," I spat despite the impulse to flee. "You coward."

The voice cackled, "Who's the coward now?"

Growling, my hands tightened into fists. The voice seemed to have a face of its own, because in that very moment, I could imagine a twisted smile, just hovering on where the face was supposed to be.

"Little princess is angry now," it cooed.

I snarled and blasted the cubicle to my left with high current electricity. The alarm on the floor rang and among the chaos, I could hear the voice's haunting laugh.

When the door to the toilet was forced open, the Avengers had found me standing in clouds of smoke. Water pooled around me from the broken sink, and my eyes,

they were ruby red.

-----------------------------------------

Sorry this was such a short chapter, but something was definitely going to happen soon and this was merely a build up:) Please vote or comment to tell me what you think!

-Rivers