Chapter 37: Big Girls Cry

Charlotte

My vision flickered and for a brief moment, I thought I was going to black out. Then, my sight returned to its usual bloody bath. My mind was of my own and I was my furious self. I glared at my mother, who had total control over me because of a stupid necklace that was resting on her collar. She stared at me in frantic manners. "You," I could not finish my sentence. I had always imagined my reunion with my own mother more joyful, less chaotic. Now I felt betrayed and disgusted. This woman in front of me was twisted and brainwashed, she was no longer the gentle woman that once held me at night, and wiped away the tears on my cheeks.

"Charlotte!" Bucky shouted once more behind the wall. There were more bullets ringing in the background and I couldn't hear from Bucky. Rage roared within me as I dove for my mother. We both crashed onto the floor just as I heard the Hulk's angry cry. 

I reached for her necklace and snapped it, crashing it with one hand. "There's more to this," I hissed in my mother's face, who widened her eyes and stared at me. "What's your plan?"

The pain in my waist was dull and nagging but I ignored it. There was more urgent matters at hand. Frustrated, I shook my mother and screamed, "Tell me!"

"The list," my mother breathed, tears spilled from her eyes. "Hydra needs the list to assassinate all the obstacles."

That was all I needed from her. With one last look at my mother, I dropped her. The woman crushed onto the floor in anguish. Returning to the door, I was desperate for Bucky's close presence. I pressed my palms against the cool metal of the door and closed my eyes. I pushed away the pain in my waist and imagined high current flowing through the system. The ceiling lights faltered and outside the building, thunder echoed. 

With a click, the door slid open. I stepped out, just as Bucky dropped an unconscious man from his hands. He turned gradually and we met eyes. His glints were wild and clear. There was a clarity in them as he settled his gaze on me. "Lottie," He whispered and I rushed to him. Despite I could still hear the Hulk growling upstairs and Tony's suit blasting, I held Bucky tight. I squeezed my eyes shut and buried my face in the nook of his neck. Bucky's hands were around me, anchoring my body to earth once more. 

"Are you okay?" I asked breathlessly but instead of answering me, Bucky was busying checking for my health. Then, with his hand on the side of my cheek, our lips met. 

"Alright, Romeo and Juliet." Natasha's voice snapped us back to reality. I bounced off Bucky and we both looked towards the end of the corridor, which was now covered with bodies. How Bucky had taken down all these men was a mystery to me. I could only imagine how dangerous and deadly Bucky would be as an enemy. Natasha' hair was a mess, there were dirt and blood on her face. She leaned against the wall for support as she frowned at us. "We need a little help."

We didn't have time to contact Thor. Every Avenger was engaged in their own fight. Matron was no where to be seen and I was more than worried. But I didn't have the time to look for her. I told Natasha of Hydra's plan. She scowled and began leading us to top floor. Iron Man and the Hulk were doing great security work on a few floors in a row. Clint was covering up for us as we made our way to Nick's office, where the list was located.

To our horror, the office was a mess. It was like a bomb had gone off there. The table was flipped over, there was blood on the floor, and documents were covering the carpet. Then, Bucky heard the helicopter on the rooftop. We ran and sprinted at our might. 

On the rooftop was another scene that I doubted I could ever forget. A man in long coat was pointed a gun at Nick, who had his hands up and his back to us. The stranger was clutching to something small in his hand. When his eyes took us, the newcomers, in, a grin blossomed on his face.