Chapter 24: Best friend And Best...Girl?

Bucky's Point Of View

I sulked and tightened my fists. My whole body tensed up in rage as I glared at the Director. He was unmoved, but behind him, the woman with red hair, Charlotte called her Natasha, watched my every move and inched in closer.

"Charlotte and Steve are being held as captives," the Director continued, and I was doing my absolute best trying to contain myself. "We are working on saving them, Barnes."

I gritted and hissed, "I'm joining the mission."

Natasha chimed in, "Clint and I are going. We are trying to keep the number down-"

I didn't wait for her to finish. I turned to leave the main room on Charlotte's and my floor. "I'm getting changed."

Behind me, I could hear the Director sigh.

As I put on my assassin uniform, I realized I could not afford to lose Steve or...Charlotte. I'd hate to admit it. But Steve was my best friend and Charlotte...She was my best girl. I could not stand the thought that they were in danger. Steve could hopefully take care of himself. But if anyone dared to lay a hand on Charlotte, I was going to make them pay.

I picked up my mask and headed back into the main room, where Clint had joined Natasha and the Director. The moment they saw me, their faces grew grave. I could see from Natasha's expression that she was still trying to figure me out. I didn't blame her. I was the ghost for years, I was the deadly assassin of Hydra. But this time, I was going to save someone.

This felt almost wicked. I was doing the opposite of what I was trained to do by Hydra.

To my surprise, Clint clapped my arm and said, "Well, we're ready then."

Outside of Stark Tower, the sky was turning lighter. It was dawn break. "What's our plan?" I asked numbly. I was more than ready to make the people who harmed Charlotte to burn.

"Our source's told us that the organisation is still waiting to be transported to their safe house. Right now, they are in the underground of the building," the Director explained neutrally. How could he be so damn calm? I inhaled shakily and tried to recall all the training that I had, despite the memories would bring shame and pain in my head.

I was to keep myself emotionally unattached. I was to carry out the tasks and finish the mission. But Charlotte, she was my mission.

A black range rover waited outside of Stark Tower. Clint, Natasha and I went through the staff parking lot to avoid blowing our cover. If they weren't Charlotte's friends, I wouldn't have known if I would trust them after all. I sat in dead silence during the whole of car ride.

Clint passed me an AK47 and I told it without saying another word. "Bucky," He began and I turned to look at him. The man paused and swallowed, "They call you Bucky so I thought-"

"You can call me Bucky," I replied, resisting the urge to roll my eyes. The fact that people feared me was annoying and funny at the same time. "But yes?"

"Well, the Director wants me to remind you not to kill anyone if they are innocent."

Silent, I nodded and gazed out of the window again.

Charlotte.

It was my only thought as I made my way through the building. Natasha was behind me and Clint was shooting arrows at amazing accuracy. I gunned down whoever was in my way. When I ran out of bullet, I threw the gun aside and pulled out the dagger from my waist belt.

A man threw himself onto me foolishly. I held his neck and swung a fist across his cheek. Something cracked underneath my knuckles and the man cried out loud. I pulled him up from the floor by his collar once more and tilted his head up with the tip of my dagger.

"Where is she?" I grumbled and glared into his face. His eyes were shiny with tears as he shook his head for mercy. "Damn you," I cursed and drew the dagger across his neck. Blood spilled and for a second, I thought I saw red.

"Bucky!" Natasha warned behind me. I merely ignored her and moved onto the next guy. Before I could swing a punch, he dropped to his knees and held his hands up.

"She's in the basement! With Captain America! Please don't kill me!" The man pleaded. Clint rushed to my side before I could do anything to the man.

"Let's go, Barnes," Clint urged and tugged at my arm. Nodding, I went with him in the direction of the basement.

On the way, I killed and slashed. It was a promise that I had made when I first met Charlotte, one that I knew it would be impossible for me to keep it. But I tried anyway. At first I thought I tried to keep the promise of not killing just for the sake of myself. Yet now, I realized I had done it for Charlotte.

I wanted to be a better person. For her. But now, I was a monster again.

————————————————————————————————————————-

I know the recent chapters are quite short. But this is only because I'm still in the middle of my GCSEs *inserts a crying face* Anyway, what do you guys think of this chapter?:D Comment below and let me know! Don't forget to vote as well if you've enjoyed the story so far:)

-Rivers