Chapter 8: Who Are You?

"This is Matron."

"Hey, it's Lottie."

"Thank the lord you're still alive, Lottie. How's everything?"

"I'm good. Everything is good, too. I just want to tell you,um, I have to move out because of my new job."

"Wait, what? Are you actually being serious?"

"I'm really sorry, Matron. But this is not permanent. I swear."

"Lottie, I have known you for most of my life. I know you. If you think it's the right thing to do, then I guess go for it...You know, I will always be here for you, yeah?"

"Ahuh. Thanks, Mat."

"Don't worry, Lottie. Oh by the way, I really have to tell you about my job interview-Wait hold up, my mum is calling. I will catch you up later, yeah?"

"Yup, I will see you soon!"

~

As I headed down the street with Pepper and Natasha by my side, I found myself peering around us for something suspicious. I couldn't even remember the last time I went out shopping with Matron.

"What's up, Lottie," Natasha asked swiftly, her shoes clicking on the pavement with Pepper's heels in unison. I wondered if they knew that monsters would want to attack me any time of the day, and if I told them that, would they still want to stay with me?

Shrugging, I lied, "Nothing." Attempting to change the topic, I faced Pepper while we entered a shopping mall. "Pepper, don't you have work to do? Are you sure it's alright for you to shop with me?"

According to Natasha, Pepper basically ran the Stark Industry. So pulling Pepper out of her work only added guilt in my chest. Yet Pepper only smiled sweetly, her lips coated with red lipsticks. She looked smart, like a super business woman should. "Don't worry a thing, Charlotte."

This time, I stopped her. "You can call me Lottie if you want to."

The woman only smiled brighter, causing my lips to curve upwards as well. Five minutes into wandering around the mall, Natasha had decided I should check out this store at the side. "Looks cute," She remarked and I found no urge to object.

It didn't take Pepper long to pick up a sun dress. Her blue gaze glinting at me. Flushing, I took a step back, catching a soft snicker from Natasha. "Lottie," Pepper called out, gesturing at the dress with great enthusiasm. I began shaking my head furiously. Throughout the years of fighting and training, I didn't even have the time to dress up. Jeans and a simple top were how I rocked the days. The idea of putting on a sun dress with thin straps like that terrified me.

Pepper pursed her lips in disappointment. Leaning on one of the cloth rack, Natasha smirked, "Come on, Lottie. You will look sweet in it."

"What's wrong with this dress?" Pepper agreed instantly and held up the dress. "You have the perfect body for it."

I bit the lower lip and the women placed the dress in our shopping bag with wide grins before moving on. I sighed in defeat.

My eyes scanned the racks, sometimes pausing at certain hangers that displayed clothes that had caught my eyes, but then I would force myself to walk away because I couldn't bring myself to ask Pepper to buy stuff for me. Natasha, noticing this, slowed to a pace to match mine while Pepper almost skidded to another rack of endless clothes.

"Pick something, Lottie," Natasha suggested while glancing over the clothes by her side. "This shopping trip is only for you," She winked at me and caught glimpse of Pepper holding up another dress. "And maybe for Pepper's amusement as well. You're gonna be the love child of Tony and Pepper."

She laughed at her own joke while I dropped my jaw. "Anyway," Natasha sniffed and collected herself. She picked out a leather jacket and smiled smugly at me. "Check this out."

The jacket was smooth and edgier than what I would normally wear but because it was Natasha, I shrugged and reminded myself to start enjoying this trip. I didn't want to spoil this for anyone.

At the end of the day, our arms were linked with numerous shopping bags. We found a bench in the mall and slumped ourselves on it with contented sighs. Pepper placed her bags at her ankles and leaned back. "That was something that I hadn't done in a long time."

Exhaustion was visible on her face, but satisfaction as well. Natasha rolled her head and stretched her arms. "Since Stark Industries?" She asked. I looked between them, actually enjoying myself and shamefully swinging one of my feet without really knowing it.

Pepper nodded and looked around her. "Right now, all I need is a drink."

"I will go get some," I volunteered and fished for my purse. Pepper knitted her delicate brows and met gaze with Natasha before looking back at me.

"Are you sure?" She questioned uncertainly. I grinned at the both of them and got onto my feet.

"A milkshake for me, then," Natasha said without thinking twice. Her eyes were close and a delinquent smile played at her full lips. Pepper pouted and I had to reassure her again that I was fine with getting drinks before she could tell me what she wanted.

"I will have coffee." The woman simpered, "Thanks, Lottie."

Since there didn't seem to be any cafe on the floor that we were at, I went down a few floors and spotted a antique looking cafe. I gripped my purse tauter and picked up my pace, my feet were finally starting to hurt after a long day of shopping. But honestly, this wasn't as bad as any quest that I had gone on.

The glass door swung open and a light ring of a bell was heard. A whiff of sweet bakery scent hit me, followed by the exotic spice of coffee beans. I had come to the right place.

The place was desert. A man with a dirty cap on sat at one of the white, emptied tables. By his fabric gloved hand was a cup of coffee, his other hand was holding up a ancient looking notebook. I headed over to the cashier, where a massive man was sitting with his shoulders hunched and his head against his impossibly board chest.

He was probably asleep, but I walked up to him none the less. Clearing my throat, I waited for him to stir.

"Excuse me," I mumbled but the man was still as a tree. At loss of what to do, I looked around the place and saw the man with his notebook peering at me. Our gaze met and he dropped his instantly as if he was avoiding to be seen by anyone.

I returned my attention at the cashier, who had finally waken up, and was staring at me.

With one eye.