Chapter 22: Stick With The Plan

My head was light was grogginess as I pushed myself up from the bed. Yawning, I could hear Bucky cluttering in the kitchen again. A smile lit up my face at the thought, knowing that Bucky was still here with me.

It might sound stupid, but before I met Bucky, the idea of my life being normal was absolutely untouchable. Yet now, I had Bucky and he simply made everything perfect.

"Morning," Bucky greeted the moment I stepped into the main room. His eyes were gentle like the morning rays, and his voice turned my stomach into a knot. I couldn't help but grinned, reaching for the mug that he slid across to me on the counter. Biting my lip, I felt awkward but content at the same time. I took a minute to examine the steamy coffee in my hand.

"Smells good," I could only manage to say. Glancing up shyly, my cheeks blushed when I caught sight of the charming smile that had settled on Bucky's face.

I took a sip, fluttering my eyes close briefly at the bittersweet sensation that filled my mouth. Suddenly, I felt fingertips brushing against my cheek. When I opened my eyes again, Bucky's gaze bored into mine.

I held my breath, my inside felt like it was ignited with tossing flames. Bucky's fingers trailed along my left temple, sending a shiver down my spine. His jaw set and I felt myself melting in his hand.

The moment was intimate and private. Braving myself, I glanced down to cover Bucky's metal hand, which was resting on the counter, with mine.

When I looked up again, Bucky's eyes were as tender as ever. They felt like nothing but kisses on my skin. "I know what you're thinking," I said lightly and squeezed his metal hand, "You can touch me with your metal hand. I am not afraid of it."

Bucky's metal hand relaxed slightly to take mine into his. I smiled in spite of us. Reaching up, I clasped his hand with my free one as well. "If anything, it only makes you more human, because you understand the importance of a touch." Turning my head, I bumped my nose on his palm lightly and inhaled his scent. "I like you, Bucky. I really do."

Well, there went the opportunity to tell him I love him. Would I ever have the gut to do so?

Bucky's mouth parted wanly, and when he leaned in, I closed my eyes to wait for the softness of his lips meeting mine.

"Miss, Mr. Stark's demanding to have a word with you."

Jarvis' voice boomed through the system unexpectedly. Jerking away from Bucky, I clutched my chest and scowled. Bucky chuckled in amusement.

"What?" I growled and tried to glare at one spot on the ceiling. "Tell Tony to come at another time-"

The elevator from the end of the corridor rang. Pouting, I took a stance next to Bucky. He gazed down at me shortly and to my surprise, he entwined his fingers with mines and raised it to his lips. He pecked on my knuckles and murmured, "Thank you."

I stared at him but Bucky only dropped our hands with a delinquent smirk on his face.

"Excuse me?"

I jumped and turned to see Tony sulking with his arms crossed before his chest. Embarrassed, I shook my hand out of Bucky's, my cheeks turning a shade darker. Next to me, Bucky ran his thumb along his lower lip lazily and minded his own business.

"What's up, Tony?" I tried a laugh and failed. So I decided to retreat to drinking my coffee. "This is quite an early morning for you."

Tony approached the counter and looked between Bucky and I. "Well, Banner just told me about your new assignment," Tony paused and tilted his head in suspicion. "Are you two a thing now?"