Chapter 18: Training

"Lottie, this is Matron. I've been busy at my new job. It's awesome. You should see what I have doing. Anyway, should we hang out for lunch at some point? You have to tell me all about your job as well. I need to go now. Call me once you've caught this voice mail!"

I left the men at Stark Tower half an hour later. A call from Natasha could pull me out of any situation. Bucky didn't look quite please when I packed my backpack hastily. Steve's eyes were oddly bright as he stayed sat on the stool.

I stomped on, the amusement from our conversation was still overwhelming. So now that Bucky started to remember, what was going to happen next?

Since Shield didn't give me any kind of transport, and I wasn't brave enough to get behind a steering wheel any time sooner, I insisted on walking. In spite of the highlighted opportunities for mythological monsters to sense me, I rubbed my thumb on Eagle, feeling safer at its presence.

People still threw me weird and uncertain glances when I stepped into Shield's lobby. I tried to be less self-conscious, but I never cared much about my appearance. My dark hair was loosen on my shoulders, and I had on nothing grand but a t-shirt of some old band and a pair of worn out jeans.

"Do you work here?" A man in suit questioned, his brows furrowed and his company shook his head with a snicker.

I looked away from them as we waited for the elevator. "Nope, not really."

His frown deepened and his company watched me gingerly. When the pair of metal doors slid open, I headed in it and they stared at me. "Well," I started, feeling slightly annoyed by them, "Are you two coming in?"

"You're not supposed to go in there," They stuttered and tried to grab me. Nick Fury's voice boomed through the system within the limited space.

"Charlotte, Agent Romanoff has been waiting for you ever since our meeting ended."

He didn't sound very angry, but his words did their magic to stop the men in their track. I shrugged and raised an eyebrow at them. "I'm late, sorry," I remarked and closed the door in front of them. Leaning back against the cool glass, I sighed.

Turned out Nick Fury wasn't as bothered my lateness as I had imagined him to be. He chuckled when I entered the room. "Not gonna thank me for kicking those men's asses?"

I gaped at him and crossed my arms before my chest in amusement. "You did that on purpose?"

He shrugged and gestured towards another door. I glanced around to realize I was in some sort of staff lockers' room. "The part about Natasha waiting isn't a lie. You're late."

I made a face and hurried past him. "Sorry, there was an incident," I attempted to explain. The man stared at me briefly.

"Of course."

I pulled back the door with Fury's words replaying in my head. But the sight of Natasha stretching in the centre of the room reminded me of the painful session that followed, and my conversation with Fury was immediately tucked away in my head.  "What are we going to do today?" I asked and dropped my bag to a side. Natasha straightened up to examine my outfit. She clicked with her tongue and retreat to her own bag.

"You're not wearing that during training with me," She commented and pulled a pair of baggy trousers out of her massive bag. She chucked them at me and paused. After another heartbeat, she took a tank top out of her bag as well. "Go get changed, Lottie."

I pouted but obeyed anyway. It was no good defying Natasha. It was better to stay at her good side.

It didn't take me long to get changed. I came out of the locker room with baggy trousers and a loosen army green tank top on. Thank lord I was wearing a sport bra today.