Chapter 1: The Captain In Tights

"Damn it!" I grunted in irritation as I continued to search through the grim content in a bin. Every inch of my body protested with exhaustion under the falling sun.

Matron, my cousin, who was driving for the day, had just left me here without saying another word. Apparently, she had received a call about a job interview that she had been waiting on for a week. I had only gotten off the car for a brief moment when she drove away, with my bag and everything still in my seat. I gawked after her in shock. She was unbelievable. The fact that Matron could be so forgetful worried me, especially when her profession was engineering.

The back of my neck felt sore and raw. Straightening up, I stretched and ignored the constant peeks from passers that were thrown towards me. The bin seemed to grin back at me wickedly, teasing at my dim luck and outstretching its invisible arms that smelled of mouldy paper and expired food towards me.

I never really left the apartment that I shared with Matron. She was constantly trying to persuade me to step out of our apartment every day, but I hated it. When you were the story that everybody told to scare the little ones, it didn't feel decent to be out and under people's gaze, even though they had no idea you were the daunting tale that mothers told their children at night.

"Ma'am?"

I spun around at the voice. Damn, I was getting slower.Ever since my mother had left me, I barely trained myself as hard as she did with me. Before she left me, my mother would wake me up at five and jog with me around the park near where we lived. Jog would be an understatement, actually. Run or sprint would be a proper way to put it. But that wasn't it. The strangest part was when she let me handle a pair of daggers when I was only five. I didn't understand it. I had thought it was fun. But as I grew up, I realized that there was something sickly wrong about the way my mother brought me up. She told me I had the family gift: The ability to control the weather and thunders. She even gave me an ancient looking ring, which was supposedly to be a symbolization in our family blood. It was called Eagle, my mother had said as she put it on my finger. It changed shape into whatever weapons you had in your mind.

I blinked and shook my head, as if I could rid of my train of thoughts and flashbacks physically. "What do you want-" The words were stuck in my chest as I stared at the new comer with loosened jaw.

The man in front of me, a very well built one, wore a skin tight uniform that showed off the colour of blue, red and white, and none the less, his muscles. On his arm was a circular shield that was based on the same theme with his uniform as well. A star was painted in the middle on the shiny surface.

"Miss Charlotte Black, I believe," The strange man started. My body tensed with his words at once.

"How do you know my name?"

He held up a hand as if to assure everything was fine, and that I wasn't being faced with a man in circus costumes. "Ma'am, I'm Captain America. I mean no harm or disrespect."

I frowned at the way he addressed me. "Captain America?" I repeated in confusion. The man standing ahead dropped his shoulders slightly. His half masked face suggested he didn't expect my reaction after being revealed to his identity. "Am I supposed to know who you are?" I questioned once again.

He shrugged hesitantly and replied, his thoughts turning over in his head gingerly, "I guess so. I mean, it doesn't matter if you don't know who I am. That is not the purpose of us meeting you."

His words were tossed and chewed in my mind. Narrowing my eyes at the 'Captain', I tightened my fists that were ready to battle. Eagle was glowing brighter on my pinky.

"'Us' ?" I echoed darkly, challenging him to make a move. In my head, an image of my favourite weapon, a pair of bronze daggers, were taking form. The moment I had my heart set on a certain weapon, Eagle, the ring around my pink would take its shape instantly and bam! I would be holding a pair of bronze daggers that were transformed from Eagle in barely a fraction of a second.

"Our director, Fury, would like to meet you."

I hadn't even had the time to ask if a man had really been named Fury when another intruder landed behind Captain with a light thud. I could hardly miss the solid black bow that was hanging off his shoulder. Were those buttons that I saw?

Arrows and bow meant long distance battle. If I could use something short and quick against them, the man would never be able to shoot his wicked looking arrows at me.

Defensive instants kicked in. I released my balled left fist and soon I had a polished dagger in my hand. I held it up towards them and fixed gaze on the new company. My body began to ache all over in exhaustion at once. It was embarrassing to admit but I was definitely out of shape.

"Really, ma'am. If you could just hold on for a second-" Before the Captain had finished his sentence, his supposed-to-be-teammate interrupted.

"Need a hand, Cap?"

The man pulled out an arrow from behind him. That move was enough to set me off. Without another thought, I bounced off my heels like a predator. However, the moment I moved an inch, I felt my body weighing down in weariness. Goose bumps stood on my arms as realization hit. I might not even take these men for a heartbeat if they were really as well trained as I had imagined them to be, even in strange and questionable outfits like theirs.

The man was fast, and my heart sank at the observation. In a brief second, an arrow was already shot towards me. I tried to sidestep in order to avoid it. My legs protested while my waist hurt like an ablaze flame. Then, I saw it in me. The arrow had cut across the thin air and found a home in my flesh securely.

I gaped, staring down at the bleeding wound from my forearm. Lifting my eyes in disbelief, I took one last look at the men before falling back into the darkness.

_____________________________________________________________

What do you think about Charlotte and the Avengers? Comment to let me know:)

-Piper