Chapter 16

"I think it's safe to say that everybody with an anemone stuck on their head... gambled on Azul's contract and lost. The terms of said contract were apparently to place in the top 50. But with the sheer number of students signin' on most of them never stood a chance of getting in at all. That was Azul's game from the start." Summarised Jack seriously with his arms crossed.

They were now sitting in the Ramshackle lounge after returning from Octavinelle. Yuu hummed as a response, lightly dusting off the fur from the seat absently.

Jack gritted his teeth and his tail fur began to stand up from anger, somehow finding Yuu's simple response irritating for not giving enough care to the situation.

"I mean, c'mon! If you're gettin' good grades off someone else's work, what does that even prove? You're throwin' away a perfectly good opportunity to show others what you're capable of. Frankly, you're cheating yourself.

There was an audible sigh as Crowley smoothly joined in, "If the rest of the student body here were as principled and tedious... I mean, as "serious" as you, it would spare me such grief!"

Jack jumped at his sudden appearance, "WHOA! Headmaster?! You startled me!"

Yuu peeked a glance at Crowley who had arrived unannounced, they did not missed that he slipped his tongue and said "tedious".

Crowley sighed, oblivious to the stare Yuu send at him. He continued, "So transpires another year of me being unable to clamp down on Ashengrotto's little "side business.""

"We don't want to know. Not at all." Yuu instantly reject.

Crowley rarely stopped by, if there is something Yuu learnt previously, he definitely wanted to ask them for favours to deal with his own problems.

"What? But we gotta do something." Jack frowned in confusion and disbelief. If Yuu were right beside him, their hand will definitely fly straight to his mouth to shut him up. But Yuu was sitting across him and that is a shame. "If I stand by without doing anything, that will be against my principle!"

"My what an outstanding sense of justice!" Flattered crowley, "why, you are in luck! I do have some valuable infos regarding Ashengrotto that may help you."

"Really?"

"No-"

"Why of course! His name is Azul Ashengrotto: Sophomore. Housewarden of Octavinelle Dorm." Crowley cutted in without hesitation, his smile was wide to Yuu's annoyance, "much like Rosehearts, he is a highly capable student already running a dorm as a sophomore, but... He's a bit-no, I daresay QUITE a bit troublesome.?"

"Are you talking about him swindling people?" Jack narrowed his eyes skepticismly toward Crowley, "seems to me like one word from the headmaster could put a stop to this whole thing."

"Ah, but it is precisely BECAUSE I am in a teaching position that I cannot prohibit his actions."

"Why not?"

"Here's the thing about those study guides that Ashengrotto handed out to the students. There was no illegitimate activity involved in their production. Nobody snuck looks at test questions or answers beforehand." He said seriously.

Jack was surprised compared to Yuu who didn't even bother to look at him and minding their own business. But despite that, they were quietly listening.

"It was crafted exhaustively by hand, after researching the past century's worth of Night Raven College exam questions and their patterns. In other words, it's an entirely legitimate study guide." Crowley ended his speech with noddings as if he didn't just mention a century worth of exam questions and patterns.