Chapter 31

A/N:

Funfact!

Yuu is between introvert and extrovert, leaning more into introvert but had no problem going extrovert if certain conditions are met.

-----

Yuu returned that night, alone. Grim went back with the others to Heartslabyul. They told Yuu that they would carry their stuff here later.

At least, that's what Yuu thought they said; it's hard to focus right now. They felt woozy, barely walking straight, and they wouldn't hesitate to just drop right there if it weren't for their desire to fall into a soft bed.

Yuu's expression twisted lightly. They were close to figuring it all out and remembering everything, but something put a stop to it, preventing them from going further.

But they knew for certain now that those people were not them. They paused, letting their mind go blank, reminding themselves again not to think about them for fear the pain would attack once more. But Yuu knew already, deep in their heart, what that person means to them.

It took them a moment to process with this throbbing head of theirs and come to a conclusion that everything was their fault.

Yuu hurt them unintentionally with their silence and rejections. It's their fault for projecting that image on them and being upset they aren't the same at all, for getting close and letting them call them friends when what Yuu saw wasn't them at all.

They didn't mean to hurt anyone at all. They just wanted to be with them, helplessly chasing after them even if it was merely an illusion.

Unknowingly, Yuu's heart clenched with sorrow, sobs unexpectedly threatening to escape them. Now that they're aware, they couldn't cope with the feelings of being empty and lonely that they swore they were so used to, the burden of going through life with no one to hold their hand.

The urge to go home returned tenfold, a yearning that couldn't be satiated anytime soon. They pushed the feelings down. They didn't want to get more disappointed and linger on those feelings for too long.

From now on, they would see them as they are. That person would not influence them anymore, but it doesn't mean that Yuu would get along with them properly. Yuu would keep them at arm's length. They wouldn't spoil them nor would they indulge them.

Yuu understood that they cherished Yuu much like that person cherished them, though they are not as open as them. This is what Yuu can do for them: be there but not really there, close but not really close.

Like an acquaintance or the classmates you see and talk a little bit but never develop more than that, just enough to get by and get a little benefit out of them.

They refused to be part of their story. They would leave without any marks on their pages that would make them remember Yuu.

With a goal formed in their head, they pushed the gate to the ramshackle dorm. It creaked when it swayed wide open, threatening to unhook out of its latch and drop.

They didn't bother to close it, eyes half-lidded as they tried to lift their foot forward one by one even if they felt heavy.

They're so cold, why are they so cold? Could it be they are sick? They were fine earlier, so why now?

They barely registered someone talking and a person approaching them. And when they did, they instantly recognized him.

"Oh dear, you are shivering." A gust of cold wind gently covered them, prompting them to shut their drying eyes.