Chapter 24

They thought it wouldn't work, but a bright light covered their vision, almost making them dizzy.

In the Dark Mirror chamber, the mirror's surface shone and rippled like wave, and one by one, they all tumbled out of the mirror and crashed on the ground from the unexpected weight and pull of gravity.

Their limbs were entangled and with their wet figures, it was uncomfortable. Much so with the way the clothes restricted and clung to their bodies. They shivered from the cold, but they didn't care. Their chest contracted and expanded, focusing on pumping air into their lungs.

"Huff, huff, you guys okay?" Deuce spoke up first. He groaned as he tried to get up. However, he couldn't feel which one was his legs and it was too heavy, either from the weight of his clothes or the soreness of his limbs; he doesn't know.

He laid down defeatedly before letting out a weary sigh. He turned to Ace, who coincidentally just tilted his body away from Yuu, and began coughing harshly, like he was about to throw his lungs out at any second.

"I think so... *cough cough!* Damn, I think I just breathed in the water a little bit. *cough cough!*"

"It was almost a feedin' frenzy there—with us as the chum! Swimmin' that fast ain't fair!" Grim complained aggrievably, and he wiggled out of Yuu's embrace to dry himself off.

Yuu still laid on the ground with their default blank expression on, unable to move since Ace was still on top of them. But they didn't care about that in the moment; they were questioning why transporting them all to school worked, which made them want to check out if magic was required for it to happen.

"Well, yeah. Merfolk are literally in their element underwater." Yuu could feel the weight on their torso lighten before disappearing, signaling them that Ace had finally entangled the limbs and moved away. "Ugh, sorry about that. You alright?"

Yuu nodded in response, but they didn't get up from the wet floor, just lying quietly as if to question life.

"Myaah! There's no time to rest! We've got to get that photo fast, or they're going to confiscate Ramshackle Dorm."

"We need to rework our plan here," suggested Deuce after finally standing up. He grimaced at the wet floor. Seeing that Yuu was still lying down, he quickly urged them to get up and dry themselves up before they got cold.

While distracted, Ace agreed to his idea, saying, "Yeah. Cater likes to say he's got his finger on the pulse of the community, so why don't we get some input from him?"

"Good idea! With Cater around, it will be much easier. We can probably learn their schedule or somethin."

"We should go dry ourselves first. It will be harder to get the job done if we get sick. Not to mention, the floor is wet too. We can't just leave it like this." said Deuce worriedly, the personality of a role model student replaced his delinquent-like behavior.

He spared a glance at Yuu, who staggered trying to stand up and walk next to him. With their wet appearance and blank expression that almost looked grumpy, Deuce thought he had seen an illusion of a cat that was angry from getting wet by the rain blended with Yuu's appearance.

He nodded solemnly, almost sympathetically. He then held out his magic pen and looked thoughtfully at it, saying, "uhh, should I use fire...? I'm not very good at it, but I'm sure I can do it!"

Ace suddenly whirled his head to Deuce as fast as lightning, his eyes were impossibly wide.

"Wait! Hold on a second!" Ace screeched while reaching his hand out to Deuce to stop him.

"Huh...?" Deuce looked questioningly at him after stopping mid-summoning, but the magic was still blazing at the tip of his magic pen, and instead of falling like embers, it decided to shoot like a firework.