Prologue: Innocence Lost

"Betrayal is the only truth that sticks."

- Arthur Miller

XXXXXXXXX

"Are you sure we do this?" Y/N said as he fiddled with his pistols, loading them with bullets. Adam and he sat in the planning room, awaiting for Blake to arrive. The two talked strategy as Y/N readied all of their weapons. "I mean...this is a serious job. Innocents could be involved."

"They won't be. The only innocents on the train will be at the front and they won't be passengers. From the intel you've gathered, the conductor and four other maintenance personnel will be on this train. They're all on Atlas' payroll so it's not like they don't have a stake in this. The front cart is the head, then followed by three passenger carts, and then the remaining ten are the cars that contain the mass weapon and other goods we'll need. We stop them from getting those supplies to home base and we have a shot at getting back." Adam said as he sprawled out a paper with the schematics of the train. The intel Y/N grabbed from the last mission provided incredibly useful in figuring out what was happening, even if he wasn't meant to be the one successful there. "I know you've...been through a lot, but trust me when I say this isn't done lightly. This weapon it could...no, it WILL kill hundreds of more Faunus if it has the capability of doing what we think it can."

"So you want to, what, turn it on humans because some old scientists cooked up a MOAB? Who says they're going to use it against us, that would violate every law in existence." Blake said as she walked into the room with a bundle of supplies. "I don't like this idea, Adam, much less so after what my brother went through on his last mission, which mind you, just finished a few days ago."

"Blake, my love, come now." Adam said as he grabbed her by the waist. Y/N cringed at the awkward teen romance as Blake flushed red. "I have nothing but your best interests in mind, including Y/N's. This isn't about using the weapon, it's about making sure we have a counter to it by the time they do. If they don't use it, then I will be ecstatic. But in the case they do, I'd rather be prepared."

"So...this isn't about your revenge? This is about saving lives?" Blake asked, almost believing him as Adam gave her his charming smile.

"I want to save lives Blake, whether human or Faunus. Innocents shouldn't be brought into this, but anyone who is causing loss on either side needs to be dealt with or stopped." Adam said as he kissed her forehead lightly. "With justice, not revenge."

Blake studied the man for a moment as her hands tightened against his chest. She took a shallow breath before nodding in reluctance.

"Okay, we agree on that point. But no killing. That goes for both of you. And I want an easy out for the two of you, multiple in fact. I can get out of a bind with my clones, but Y/N has a wonky aura and your prone to taking more damage then you realize with the way your semblance works. Deal?" Blake said as Adam and Y/N fist bumped in happiness. Blake have a small smile at the reaction and looked down in thought. "Did you get the go ahead from Sienna though?"

"Yes, went to her before anyone else. I know her and I had some...disagreements, but I managed  convince her." Adam said with a head nod as he rolled up the paper and grabbed the map, plans, and his weapons. "She's provided us a Bullhead, so we'll be leaving today and getting there by tomorrow."

"I knew she'd probably relent with Y/N on your side, but a bullhead? Is she in the right state of mind?" Blake said as she picked up her weapons alongside Adam, strapping everything she needed and packing her bag. She slipped in an extra device, one not noticed by Adam, but Y/N cocked an eyebrow at the small explosive device and remote alongside it. Y/N could see in the bag and smirked. Clothes, money, extra shoes, some papers, a backup scroll, and some other necessities.