Prologue: The Foundations of a Family

THIS IS A HUGE LORE CHAPTER FOR THE BEGINNING OF THE BOOK.

XXXXXXXXX

"We are the sum of our deeds, not our names."

Ramza Beoulve

XXXXXXXXXX

"Well hello there little guy!" Summer cooed as she crouched down in front of Adam with a smile and bright eyes. Adam stood steadfast under her gaze and kept his focus on her shoes without giving an inch to her. The young boy didn't dare give the woman an inch and knew what she was trying to do. Humans...all the same. "My name is Summer Rose and I'm a huntsman! Do you know why I'm here?"

"..." Adam kept his mouth shut as he clenched his fists. Summer took a small breath as she stood back up and fell back into the hospital chair behind her with a cute 'oof.' Adam took this as a cue to sit down himself as Ghira sat behind him with a tense expression on his face.

"Ah, Summer, are you sure I should be here? It's up to you Adam, I just don't want to make anyone uncomfortable..." Ghira explained as he fiddled with his hands. "A lots happened and I understand if you-"

"It's them." Adam said solemnly as he stared daggers at Summer. "They did it. Not you."

"Adam...?" Ghira leaned forward and caught the murderous gaze laid upon Summer.

"She's going to kill us isn't she?" Adam sneered as he bore into Summer's gaze. "Just like my dad and mom."

"Adam, of course not!" Ghira replied frantically and was about to go further as Summer raised a hand to stop him.

"Why do you think that, Adam?" Summer asked with a light smile on her face. Adam paused for a moment, trying to figure out what he wanted to say with his limited vocabulary. "You understand what happened to your parents, yes?"

"I don't care." Adam said softly in retort as he leaned back into the seat behind him. "All...of you people are evil. My mom and dad, Sienna's mom and dad, Blake's mom and dad, you hurt them all...and now some are gone."

"I see...humans, you mean. People who don't look like you?" Summer asked as she began to jot down a few notes.

"Everyone who hurts us don't look like us." Adam said solemnly as he held a hand to his bandaged face. His fingers traced the grooving on his face from SDC branding while Ghira took a tentative breath.

"Well, I promise you I'm not going to hurt you, but I won't stop you from feeling that way." Summer said happily as Ghira cocked an eyebrow in confusion. Summer sent him a wink as she brought out a bag of toys from beside her. "I'd like to talk to you Adam, about what happened. If you'd like to answer my questions, I'd be very happy, but if you don't want to, would you be okay with playing with me for a while?"

"What?" Both Adam and Ghira said at the same time as they looked at each other blankly. Summer moved downwards to the floor and sat criss cross while she dumped the pile of toys out onto the floor.

"We don't have to talk now, but I'm thinking we'll bring the others in here and play for a bit, if you're okay with that. Just to take a small break." Summer said, pushing the large pile of children's toys forward. Adam looked at them with an unrecognizable look as Ghira blinked confused. "Does that sound okay to you?"

"I...I guess..." Adam looked to the side as he mumbled his answer. Summer smiled and looked at Ghira, nodding her head to the side.

"I'll be right back buddy, just going to go and grab the others with Summer. Why don't you pick out a toy or something to start?" Ghira rubbed Adam's head affectionately as the small boy leaned into the massive hand.