Prologue: The Spark to Betrayal

"The ending isn't any more important than any of the moments leading up to it."

- Dr Rosalene

XXXXXXXXX

Y/N arrived back in Menagerie in the morning, feeling exhausted and being unable to sleep. The night was barely over and as the Bullhead began to set down he saw his parents, Ellen, Sienna, Adam, and Blake all standing there looking completely petrified.

Quirking an eyebrow, Y/N gathered his stuff, slinging his katana over his arm and grabbing his holster with his pistols still inside of it. He tossed them into his duffel bag before making his way over to the exit door. As the bullhead landed and the pilot unlocked the doors, Y/N was met with his Kali practically ripping him out of the machine as his katana and duffel bag flung to the ground with a clatter.

"My baby, oh my sweet baby, are you okay?!" Kali fret over him as she looked him over for any injuries or pieces of him missing. "We heard about what happened, are you doing okay?"

"Mom, I'm fine." Y/N said with a laugh and a shrug as he hugged his mom back. Ghira came over to them and placed a hand onto his shoulder, carefully looking him over.

"Son, I'm glad you're back in one piece. Proud of you too, why don't we get back to the house and you can tell us all about it." Ghira said with a big smile as he tapped Kali on the shoulder, signaling that she needed to back off with where her line of questioning was going. Knowing that it was a serious topic that needed to be addressed, Ghira tried to steer it into a more comfortable atmosphere. Kali bit her tongue and nodded as Adam and Blake walked up to him, each giving him their own hugs and welcome backs.

"It's good to see you back brother." Adam clapped his shoulder as Blake smiled softly at him with her eyes telling a different story. Y/N could feel her disappointment in him, with every word she spoke to him evidently forced.

He was dense when it came to understanding emotions, an idiot even, but it was evident the status quo had changed. His parents and Blake all treated him differently, while Adam hadn't acted like anything was different. He seemed proud even, like his little brother just got an A on a test. Ellen and Sienna stood near the back, simply looking on at him as Ellen kept giving side glances to Sienna. His parents walked on his sides while Adam and Blake trailed behind him.

"Sienna, hey!" Y/N called out as they walked past him, but Sienna didn't give him a glance as she held her arm in anxiety, looking more conflicted than anything as Ellen had a firm hand on her shoulder. Y/N blinked confusedly as his parents led him back through Kuo Kuana, to which he was greeted with warmth from the Faunus there, each of them waving hello or speaking with him briefly. 

This led to them finally reaching the manor, settling into the living room as Blake and Adam disappeared, while Ghira and Kali sat on the couch opposite of him as the sun shined through the giant windows. Ghira flipped through pages of a giant history book while Kali anxiously sat, doing her best to not break open the mountain of questions they had.

"So...is this because of my history because I swear I just clicked on an ad and-" Y/N broke the silence first, but Ghira snorted and held up a hand.

"No, this is not about your internet history, but Y/N...come on man...clowns?" Ghira said admonishing his son as Kali stifled a giggle while Y/N frantically tried to come up with some kind of defense.

"In my defense, it was a hot clown..." Y/N sulked as his parents looked at him with easier smiles than they had been. The atmosphere had lightened a little, that was until Ellen Khan burst through the doors with a giant grin on her face.