Act 1: Embers of Euphoria

"No matter how dark the night, morning always comes, and our journey begins anew."

- Lulu, Final Fantasy 10

XXXXXXXXX

Y/N awoke to a dimly lit room, the weight of reality crashing down on them. The sterile scent of a dingy hospital hung heavy in the air, and he felt cold, confined by the metal chains that bound them to the hospital bed. A large collar was strapped to his neck, limiting the usage of his aura. It wasn't long until he was left in a despondent state, trying to avoid remembering everything that had happened.

That was, until he let his head roll to his left, seeing Alexander Taurus himself sitting atop a metal box and looking at him sternly.

Panic welled up as Y/N recalled the horrifying events. Padraig had forced them to carry out the unthinkable, to kill Alexander, the man who had been his mentor and the one person to teach him something he felt was his own. His hands clenched as he let his head fall to the side, fighting back the tears threatening to overwhelm him. Alexander's terse voice cut through the tense atmosphere as Y/N didn't dare look at him.

"Y/N, you were never meant to do something like that, not to anyone, but certainly not to me. Had I known he would do something I would've...I would've never gotten close to you." Alexander clenched his knees, closing his eyes in pain as he looked back up at the boy after. "For the first time, in a very long time, you and 987 gave me purpose, gave me courage. I finally felt that I was going to do something good for once, like I could make sure the two of you escaped, but I couldn't. Padraig he...he broke me down, threatened Adam, you, and 987 and I just...my aura broke and he took advantage of that. Filled my head with lies and deception and I fucking fell for it, god dammit! I truly thought if I was let free I could save you two...but before we fought I realized how much of a fool I was."

Alexander punched wall beside him in rage, clenching his teeth in anger before faltering, letting his arm fall down with a sigh.

Tears welled up in Y/N's eyes as they spoke to the apparition, not daring to make eye contact. "What am I supposed to do now? I've become a-something! I don't even know what I am."

"You gotta fight back kid, find a way out for the two of you. You're not a monster, I would die a hundred times over if it meant you got to live. So you gotta live man, live and forget all this bullshit. Take 987 and get out of here."

"How?! How am I supposed to do that? You were the only reason I've gotten this far!" Y/N craned his neck towards Alexander and screamed in rage. "And I-I killed you and 987 she's not gonna be able to look at me let alone what 071 is going to think."

"Y/N." Alexander cut him off as Y/N grit his teeth looking at him, tears falling out of his eyes. "Remember what I said at the end. It's your story."

Alexander appeared in front of him now in the blink of an eye. Y/N recoiled and went pale before a fist connected with his chest.

"It's your story now, are you gonna let that bastard finish it or are you going to be the one to end his?" Alexander patted his chest with his fist before turning around as Y/N's world began to spin. He threw up all over the floor before looking up and seeing Alexander slowly disappearing as his eyes regained their clarity.

As the dream of Alexander faded, Y/N's heart ached. They struggled with the overwhelming mix of emotions, the guilt, and the sickening pleasure that had coursed through them during the act of killing.

That when the door creaked open, and Padraig entered the room, his twisted grin mocking Y/N. "Ah, my dear boy, how do you feel after your little performance? I hope you savored the taste of power, it was magnificent to watch!"