Prologue: Warming Agreements

"What is better? To be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?"

Paarthurnax, Skyrim

XXXXXXXXXX

"So, your wife found a random child, in the middle of the woods, at three in the morning, and you have no idea where it could've come from?" A chameleon Faunus said as they typed on the computer in front of him. She wore dark blue scrubs with her maroon hair tied back into a ponytail. Her dark green eyes with red rimmed glasses peered above the computer to meet Ghira's sheepish face. The hospital was bustling and crowded with the injured and sick. "A likely story."

"Er...yes? Come on Eve, you just had Ilia a year or two ago, you know how parents are." Ghira said with the small baby boy in his wife's arms as she bounced him in the chair. Adam, Blake, and Sienna all sat on the floor around Kali as the baby cooed and babbled in happiness. "Come on, I'm sure it happens more than you'd think! I'm just looking for a way to find his parents. And maybe write up a formal complaint for child endangerment and negligence."

"As much as I believe you're lying, you are the Chieftain." Evelyn Amitola, mother of Ilia Amitola, said as she began typing into the computer while jotting down notes she picked up the phone in front of her as it rang while Ghira took a sigh of relief. "Okay, a baby boy, feline ears on the head, black hair, oddly shaped pupils, recently born, and no imprint listed..."

Eve read aloud the classifications she was inputting to find a suitable match, but she was left with an error screen showing that nothing was available. She tried just using the black cat aspect, but the last black cat born was Blake Belladonna.

"I'm sorry Ghira, it doesn't seem like this kid was born here at least. Considering you found him in the middle of nowhere, that might have been intentionally done at home. The birth I mean." Eve said aloud as she put the phone down and went back to typing. She whirled away in her chair to the opposite side of the desk before coming back with a stack of papers for Ghira. "While we try to figure this out, I've got the other situation settled. The Taurus and Khan families delegated you and Kali respectively as their next of kin. Normally, Sienna would've gone straight to the War Goddess, but since she's been doing nothing but drinking these days, you'll have to do. She might take you to court over this one day, so keep that in mind."

"And the counseling?" Ghira asked hopefully as he took the papers to sign and give back.

"C'mon Ghira, good medical assistance is hard to find on the island let alone a qualified child counseling professional. I did go ahead and put out the listing, but the only people who have responded don't specialize in grief or child psychology." Eve said with a sigh as she leaned forward on her arms. "But, we've got something. Something you might be interested in. You're not going to like it. The individual is professional and the fees will be waived if you take it."

"What? I'll take anything Eve, my ego be damned." Ghira said desperately as he leaned forward a little too fast, creaking the desk as Eve leaned back and pulled out a clipboard from a small drawer.

"Headmaster Ozpin, formerly your teacher, has offered to personally come and provide the resources for these children. All expenses will be paid for by General Ironwood and our hospital will be gifted next generation technology and a large stipend."

Ghira paled as he leaned back in hesitation. Eve rightfully hummed as she tapped her desk.

"Oh, it's THAT kind of deal." Ghira mumbled as he crossed his arms.

"Yes...the kind of deal you need to consider taking." Eve said as Ghira gave her a sharp glare.

"Listen Eve, I would normally be all over this, but you and I both know they're just covering their asses. They can let as many Faunus as they want die, but the second it's the leaders of the island they're freaking out." Ghira sat down in the chair behind him. "I'd be accepting a bribe by doing this."