Chapter 4

True to her words, Y/n shows up in the afternoon when the sun is hanging low in the sky. She's wearing workers' clothes, which is weird, because Jennie thought she was farming but it looks like she came straight from a construction site or something.

There's dust on her cheeks and sticking to her messy hair.

Her eyes flicker to Jennie and she mumbles a quick "Hi" before looking away again. Jennie smiles and looks away just as quickly, not really sure why she's so awkward again all of a sudden.

"Hey, can you give me one?" Y/n asks, sitting down next to Seokmin on the grass in front of them. Jennie doesn't miss the flicker of pain on her face.

"Is this your first one today?" Seokmin asks, reaching into her back pocket to pull out a pack of cigarettes, handing Y/n one.

Y/n nods. "I promise." She adds with an annoyed look when Nayeon and Seokmin seem unconvinced.

She smokes.

Jennie cringes on the inside when she sees Y/n inhale the smoke; she does it so deeply Jennie feels like she's producing cancer cells just by watching her do it and a part of her want to reach out and pull the cigarette out of her fingers.

"Tough day?" Nayeon asks, eyes mildly concerned as she takes in Y/n's appearance.

Y/n gives a noncommittal grunt. "Kinda." She catches Jennie's gaze for a second and blows out some smoke to the side so it doesn't bother any of them. "Do you still want to go see the waterfall?"

Jennie shrugs. "It's okay. You're probably tired."

"But do you?" Y/n asks, flicking off her cigarette and holding Jennie's gaze.

"Yeah, why not?"

Y/n grins and gets up. "Okay, let's go, then."

Nayeon and Seokmin decide to tag along and they drop Kuma off at home first since Y/n says it's too dangerous and she doesn't want the dog to get hurt.

It kind of breaks Jennie's heart because Kuma gives her a betrayed look when Jennie puts the leash on him again.

"I'm sorry, buddy." Jennie pouts and pets the dog's head. "I'll let you sleep inside today again, okay?"

Kuma huffs and lies down in the grass.

The thing is; the village might be small population and civilization vise but damn, when it comes to the forests and fields it seems endless. Which is why it takes them almost half an hour to get to this waterfall Y/n was talking about, and the walk there isn't easy, either.

Either they're half crawling down steep hills or they're ducking their way through stinging nettles and other plants with thorns. Y/n seems to know the way by heart though, warning them before they can slip or hurt themselves anywhere. At one point their path is blocked by a wired fence with the wires sticking out sharply everywhere and Y/n goes ahead to pull the wires down so they can step over it.

"Careful," Y/n mumbles when it's Jennie's turn. "Don't wanna ruin your designer jeans."

Jennie meets her eyes and sees the glimmer of mirth there and scoffs. "Fuck off." She hears Y/n chuckle when she climbs over the fence and turns around so she can hold the wire down for Y/n, but the girl doesn't need her help at all. She holds it down with one hand, not caring about the sharp metal digging into her palm, and climbs over it like it's nothing.

"I know I'm cool, just say it." Y/n grins when she catches Jennie looking.

"People who call themselves cool usually are the exact opposite, you know," Jennie says, falling into step beside her.