Chapter 33

And i will go if you ask me to:

Jennie enters the living room with shaky knees and a sick feeling in her stomach.

She's still half dazed from sleep, her eyes puffy and burning against the first beams of sunlight streaming through her grandmother's chiffon curtains, painting the living room soft and golden.

She's sitting there on the couch, a bowl of what looks to be sunflower seeds in her lap, and Jennie's eyes prickle at the sight of her beloved grandma.

She doesn't dare open her mouth, too scared to ruin the moment, too scared of what's going to happen next.

She takes a step inside, tugging on the sleeves of her sweater, and her grandmother finally lifts her head to acknowledge her.

"Morning, grandma," Jennie mumbles, shuffling over to the chair to sit down on it. She tries to appear relaxed and yawns, feigning sleepiness when really, she's about to lose her mind.

Everything was so... perfect last night.

It was nice to pretend that things would be okay for a moment, just for one night, with Y/n in her bed, touching her in a way that had Jennie's skin erupt with goosebumps, peppering her skin with soft kisses, looking at her like she was... like she meant more to her than the opinions of the villagers.

"Good morning," Her grandmother replies with a smile. Jennie lets out a shaky breath. Her smile is warm, almost teasing, the way it always is.

"You came back early," Jennie says and watches her put down the bowl on the coffee table.

"Her husband left for work early in the morning, so I asked him to drop me off here on his way," She explains, buttoning up the woven vest she's wearing.

It's color reminds Jennie of the lavender she's growing in her garden.

"That's nice," Jennie says. She gulps and shifts to hide her hands when she realizes that her fingers are trembling. "Uhm... Grandma, about Y/n. I hope it's okay that she stayed over last night. We were watching a movie and we fell asleep. Sorry I didn't ask before."

Her grandmother stares at her for a long moment before smiling again. "Y/n is like my daughter, sweetheart. Why would you apologize?"

"Oh," Jennie dumbly says.

"Is there something you feel like you should be sorry for?"

"No." Jennie shakes her head, and thinks about Y/n kissing her, thinks about her being so happy she had to hide her face in Y/n's neck to hide her smile, and then a lump forms in her throat, and she feels like crying.

She keeps looking at her. "You and her grew really close. I have never seen Y/n take someone in so fast like she did with you."

"Yeah," Jennie answers. "She's really nice. I mean. All of them are."

They both stay silent for a moment, and it's awkward as hell, and Jennie just wants to disappear and crawl out of her skin, anything but this.

"Alright, let's not do this," She suddenly says and Jennie feels her heart plummet to the pit of her stomach, nervously watching her stand up and walk over to the couch to sit next to her instead. "Is there anything you have to tell me, Jennie?"

"W-What?"

"I know I'm just your grandmother, and we don't see each other that often, but I love you so much. You grew up in my arms, Jennie, and it does break my old heart that you don't trust me enough to tell me certain things about you."

"I'm sorry."

"Jennie..." She sighs and slowly reaches out to place her palm on her knee, squeezing softly. "You are... how old now? Twenty-one?"