Chapter 14

Whispering that same prayer half a million times:

When Y/n arrives later, Jennie and her grandma are in the middle of having dinner, so naturally her grandmother drags the startled girl inside their living room and makes her sit down on the floor right next to Jennie where they’ve set up the table.

Y/n is as awkward as ever, sparing Jennie a quick glance before she shuffles to put some space between them where Jennie’s grandmother practically glued their sides together.

Jennie tries not to freak out.

There’s nothing to freak out over. She’s just having dinner with Y/n, with a friend, that’s all.

She definitely doesn’t notice how nice Y/n smells, like she just took a shower. It’s either her cologne or shower gel, either way it smells fresh and masculine and something sweet that reminds her of peaches.

Didn’t Y/n’s socks smell like that?

She’ll have to ask her later.

Or how about not, because she would look like a total creep.

Her grandmother thankfully fills all the awkward silences up with stories about her recent trip to her health advisor and how well her green beans are growing in her garden.

Jennie can’t stop herself from smiling or feeling warm all over when she watches Y/n interact with her grandmother; it’s like she turns into another person entirely, her voice warm and gentle, her smile sweet and attentive as she listens to her and her entire demeanour is so respectful it starts to make sense why the whole village loves her so much.

They help her clean up once most of the food has disappeared from the table because Jennie can tell her grandmother is having back pains again, so she forces her to go lay down.

Y/n rinses the dishes and Jennie piles them into the dish washer, and they do most of this in silence, and it couldn’t get more awkward than this.

No, scratch that.

It could, and it does.

It starts raining outside, meaning the hammock’s not an option tonight, but Jennie is in desperate need of a nap and she knows that it’s a bit cruel, making use of Y/n this way, but it’s a blessing in disguise because Y/n thinks the reason Jennie likes hanging out with her so much is because she gets to sleep.

Jennie suggests watching a movie and Y/n shrugs, saying Jennie will just end up falling asleep anyway, which Jennie doesn’t even try to deny.

So she rents a movie on iTunes and places her laptop on her bed, Y/n sitting so close to the edge she might just fall off.

Jennie tries not to be too hurt by it.

“What movie are we watching?” Y/n asks.

“Twilight.”

Y/n purses her lips, the name obviously not ringing any bells (again), but she relaxes back into the pillows behind her where she’s propped up against the headboard.

Jennie sighs and pulls a pillow into her lap, her eyes barely taking in the opening scene playing on her laptop, her eyelids already wanting to slip closed.

Y/n shifts next to her, her breathing quiet inside the bedroom and when Jennie glances at her, her profile is mildly illuminated by the laptop screen.

She needs a haircut; her bangs are too long, and they’re falling into her eyes and Jennie wants to run her fingers through it.

If things were different, if Y/n was a girl from college in the city, Jennie wouldn’t be this much of a coward.

Sure, there is always the chance of reading signals wrong and hitting on a straight girl, but most of the time it isn’t that much of a big deal and it also happens very rarely because even if it doesn’t seem like it, Jennie isn’t actually an idiot.