Chapter 39

"We're going out," Roseanne declares when they're having breakfast together that Saturday morning. They're having toast with cheap cheese that looks like orange plastic but tastes decent enough. A cup of coffee each in front of them, Roseanne's black, no sugar, black with sugar for Lisa, and two packs of sugar plus too much cream for Jennie.

"Why?" Jennie asks.

"Because you've been holed up in this apartment ever since you got back." Roseanne sighs and taps her fingernails against her mug. "You've been working your ass off, too. You deserve to let lose a bit."

"What if I don't want to?"

"Yeah, tough luck, cause I don't care about that."

"She's right, you know," Lisa says. "You need to get out a little. Get wasted and have a good time."

"I never have a good time at clubs." Jennie shrugs, pursing her lips. "You know that."

"But it's better than staying at home, thinking about-" Roseanne stops herself there and sighs loudly. "Come on. Don't turn Your hubby down, Jen."

She's pulling the hubby card now. Jennie gives her a half-hearted glare, shaking her head.

And finds herself standing in front of a popular club later that night.

The club is packed like it always is on the weekends. Apparently one of Roseanne's friend from university managed to get them on the guest list which is why they don't have to wait as long to get inside.

The first thing Jennie does as soon as they get inside is to claim the first free booth she sees for herself, making Roseanne roll her eyes.

"You did not come here to sit around all night."

"I won't," Jennie defends herself. "We only just got here. What do you want me to do?"

"Come and grab a drink with me. Lis can save the seats for us, right babe?"

"Yeah, yeah," Lisa says and moves to sit down on the leather seat. "Just bring me a gin tonic, will you?"

Roseanne nods and raises her eyebrows at Jennie, who only blankly stares back at her until her resolve crumbles and she pushes herself out the booth with a grumble, letting Roseanne wrap an arm around her waist as she guides her towards the bar.

The strobe lights are blinding, red and green, and the deep bass of the club remix of a popular rap song makes Jennie's chest rumble with every beat. They make their way through people dancing, some getting a little touchy, still flirting, while others are already full-on making out. It's not a gay club. There are girls and dudes pressed together everywhere and Jennie feels out of place, like she always does.

Roseanne... gently nudges some people out of the way at the bar, pulling Jennie along who has to deal with the annoyed glares they receive. She orders drinks for them, glaring at Jennie when the younger pulls out her wallet. Money's never been an issue between them. Lisa, her, Roseanne, they share everything and help each other out wherever they can.

Again. Jennie doesn't know what she did in her previous life to deserve them but she will forever be grateful to have them in her life.

Just as they're about to pick up their drinks and go back to Lisa, Roseanne stops to pull out her phone, probably having received a text. She reads it for a moment, her face illuminated by the screen, before typing something back and looking around the club.

"It's the girl who got us on the guest list," She explains at Jennie's questioning gaze. "We should say hi and thank her."

Jennie shrugs. She doesn't really care what it is they're doing as long as they can go home soon.