Chapter 38

The first few weeks after her... breakup, which felt more like a one-sided breakup more than anything, because Hyuna never even loved her in the first place, Jennie wasn't really herself.

Thinking about it now, it was probably during that time that Jennie started developing insomnia, lying awake for hours at night, blaming herself for what happened, hating herself for being so weak and throwing herself at a woman who only used her to live out her fantasies and get away from the problems in her life.

Lisa and Roseanne did their best to distract her, and their surprise movie marathons or frequent cuddle sessions started to help at the two month mark, only for the whole progress to be completely erased again when they went to the movies one night.

Jennie was laughing about something Roseanne said and saw how Lisa's smile slipped, and she followed the girl's line of sight before she could stop Jennie, and regretted it immediately.

Hyuna was there, with a handsome man on her side, holding a girl in his arms that couldn't be older than six years old, and he was helping her pick an ice-cream flavour. Hyuna tickled her, and she squealed, her little pigtails bouncing cutely.

They were smiling. They looked happy.

Hyuna never used to smile that way when she was around Jennie.

"If her kid wasn't there, I'd be the shit out of her," Roseanne sneered when she spotted them, too. "Fucking prick. Look at her pale ass face. Nasty mother-"

"Stop," Jennie said, forcing a smile. "Let's just grab the popcorn and go inside okay?"

Lisa frowned at her. "We don't have to. We can go to another cinema. Or watch a movie at home instead."

"No." Jennie shook her head. It hurt. A lot. She wanted to cry. Really, really badly. But she knew her life had to go on sooner or later, just like Hyuna's life went on without her. "I'm fine. Really. I just want to have a good night, okay?"

Lisa looked proud and gave her a gentle smile, wrapping her arm around her shoulders as she steered her inside while Roseanne went to buy snacks for them.

Hyuna never saw her, too wrapped up in her little family, and Jennie couldn't even bring herself to be angry anymore at the woman, no matter how much she'd made Jennie feel like dirt beneath her shoes.

Jennie eventually got over Kim Hyuna, went back to her cheerful and goofy self everyone knew her for, but she also lost a big piece of herself in that time, and never really got it back again.

-

It's a Friday night, and Jennie is sitting on the couch in the living room alone. Lisa went out with Roseanne for dinner after Jennie basically forced the two to do something without her. They both keep sending her messages to check up on her, so Jennie turned her phone off because what's the point of them going on a date when they will spend the whole time looking at their phones because of Jennie?

She's watching some sort of western romantic comedy she randomly picked out on Netflix and she's reached the part where there's less comedy and more heartbreak.

The main guy is out on the beach, sitting on a wall with a bottle of beer in his hands, staring into darkness while a party is going on somewhere behind him.

He's not crying, even though he just found out his girlfriend's been cheating on him for months now with his own brother.

Someone approaches him and sits down on the wall next to him.

"Are you okay?" The girl asks.

"I don't know," The guy says. "Am I?"

The girl lowers her head, her hand moving as if she wants to hold the guy's but she doesn't. "How do you feel, then?"