Chapter 46

Y/n's phone starts vibrating a while later when the restaurant is fairly deserted and Jennie can hear the hustle of the employees slowly starting to clean up as their closing time approaches.

They all seem reluctant to leave.

It was some sort of an escape, even if just for a few hours.

Like a piece of home, like they were sitting in a small barbecue place in Cheumsan on a warm summer night, drinking beer and laughing at Seokmin's jokes.

That's the strange thing about the village; it was like a cage for these people, for Y/n, Joohyun, and Seulgi, yet Jennie knows they miss it.

Jennie misses it, too.

"I guess we should get going," Y/n speaks up after checking her phone and sending a message. "Taehyung had night classes and asked me to pick him up, so."

Joohyun nods. "It's getting late anyway."

Separating is hard. Jennie's bad at goodbyes, but it's gotten worse ever since she visited her grandmother last summer.

She's come to despise them, more or less.

Joohyun chuckles at the hint of a pout pulling at Jennie's lips once they're standing outside the restaurant, the cold air around them making them all shiver and clouds form at every exhale.

"Don't look like that," Joohyun says, stepping closer to pull her into a hug. "You have my number now. We can meet up whenever you want."

Jennie nods, her hand absentmindedly playing with her pony tail. "If you disappear again, I will personally have to hunt you down, and I'm clumsy and clueless, so I will probably get myself killed in the process so. Unless you want my ass dead, don't go anywhere, okay?"

Joohyun snorts and gently slaps the back of her head. "Are you threatening me? I don't like following orders, you know."

Jennie grins and pulls away. "Yeah, yeah, I know."

"We're not going anywhere," Joohyun says with a sigh. "At least not for a while, right, honey?"

Seulgi grabs Joohyun's hand and nods with a smile.

And so they go their separate ways, with Jennie trying to convince herself that this isn't going to be the last time she'll see them, especially when she turns to shoot them a look over her shoulder, and finds Joohyun doing the same.

She sticks out her tongue at her.

Y/n rolls her eyes, Jennie smiles, all the way back to the car.

She shudders when she climbs back inside, and Y/n thankfully is quick to start the engine and turn on the heater.

She doesn't immediately pull out of the parking lot, instead glances at Jennie, who catches the older girl's eyes and starts smiling.

"You're happy," Y/n quietly says, the look in her eyes warming Jennie up way faster than the lousy heating inside the car.

"I can't believe- Fuck, I can't believe we just saw them? I don't know why but I just imagined I'd never see Joohyun and Seulgi again and here they are, sitting in that restaurant like it's nothing- Y/n!"

Y/n laughs quietly, her eyes fondly taking in Jennie's excitement. "They were really excited to see you, too. And like Joohyun said, you can hang out whenever you want. We're not in the village anymore, yeah?"

"I know. Fuck, this is awesome." Jennie calms down a little, sighs deeply. "I'm so happy for them."

Y/n smiles as she pulls out of the parking lot, and Jennie fiddles with the radio until she gets to a channel with a good connection. It's a soft tune, the singer's voice deep and warm as he sings about a lost love.